Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

4013 alternating output question

Status
Not open for further replies.

numberonekiwi

As I understand the 4013 the output of q and q(bar) are usually opposite but I am looking at trying to use this circuit for a dual cell HHO generator so that only one cell is getting power at any one time which in theory would half the power consumption of having two in parallel with DC

So my idea was to use Q and Q(bar) to each drive a 60n06 mosfet and input a clock signal one of the inputs with a varying frequency as I am not sure on the ideal frequency yet

I however am not 100% sure on how to configure or wire this circuit do I simply connect S and D to ground and feed the CLK with pulses to get Q and Q(bar) opposite and if I do will the output frequency be the same or half ?

Also will the 4013 operate upto and beyond 50Khz in this setup?

Not sure what I am going to use as an adjustable CLK source yet maybe a 555 if the frequency goes high enough

From a newbie here

Don't do it man, HHO doesn't work.

Well it may very well not work but it may I am a member of hydroxyhut dot com and there are ppl there who have got vast improvements in MPG so I want to try it to prove or disprove once and for all but anyways more interested in the electronic circuit for now could be used for other applications such as alternate light flashers like cop cars etc

In order to make the 4013 toggle as you want then connect;
set input to ground
reset input to ground
D input to Qbar

connect your input pulses to the clock input

these connections will make the 4013 divide by two, you can take one output from Q and the other from Qbar.

I din't know what HHO generator is so am unable to help with that bit.

good luck with it

Ned

Don't the ppl<sic> at hydroxyhut have working circuits?

Yes they do but not in the way I want to try they only use the + or high pulse from the clock and not take advantage of the off time to drive another cell with an equal amount of power

In order to make the 4013 toggle as you want then connect;
set input to ground
reset input to ground
D input to Qbar

connect your input pulses to the clock input

these connections will make the 4013 divide by two, you can take one output from Q and the other from Qbar.

I din't know what HHO generator is so am unable to help with that bit.

good luck with it

Ned

Cheers thanks for that

If you use two cells, each alternating at a 50 % duty cycle, you will get twice as much HHO as from one cell at 50%, and it will take twice as much power. There is no such thing as a free lunch.

Hi Numberonekiwi,

I have just noticed the frequency part of your original question. The 4013 will go up to about 12 MHz, depending on supply voltage.
To have a look at its data sheet go to Datasheet Archive - Free Datasheet Search Engine :: PDF Datasheets :: Data Sheet :: Datasheet :: Application Note : çš„å￾‚æ•° : 规格书 : 技术资料 : ë￾°ì￾´í„°ì‹œíŠ¸ : データ・シート : Fiche technique : Datenblatt : опиÑ￾ание and put CD4013BE in the search line, then follow the "datasheet" links.
The 555 will go to at least 500KHz, I know that cause I've tried. I don't know what its maximum speed is, but you can see its data sheet at //focus.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/NE555.pdf.

Ned

The 4013 will run to about 12 MHZ depending on supply votage. To see its data sheet go to www. datasheetarchive. com but without the spaces. and type in CD4013BE in the search line.
The 555 can be seen at the same place by typing in NE555, It will go to at least half a meg

Ned

Last edited:
Ok, thanks for your help above I now have got the driver circuit and timer I used the IR jammer circuit I found and replaced a 10nf with 1 nf The clock is up to about 280Khz not sure of the min as I haven't tried.

I have looked at the specs on 4013 and it seems to have an extremely low current output and as I need to drive 2 x 50n06 or 60n06 fets I think I will ned to design a driver circuit
Will now go and do some more investigation unless some one here can say for sure if the 4013 will drive one of the fets directly

What IR jammer circuit?

Use an H-Bridge on your 4013 to get the current up, a TC4427 can drive MOSFETs.

PS it still wont work, HHO that is...

I just looked for a supplier of that component here for a couple of dollars 10 bucks shipping so I am thinking of maybe a bc547 with a 47k resistor to the base collector to + 12 to 15 VDC and a 10k resistor between Emmiter and Ground feed the mosfet with 100ohm from the emitter those 3 components ( x2 ) should still be cheaper than the chip alone just take a little more space but that is no problem.

Edit: Just thinking I may try a bc557 (pnp) and have the emitter tied to the +ve rail with the 10K resistor between collector and ground this will however give me an inverting output on the mosfets but still should not be a problem

Does anyone have any thoughts either way I think both should work equally as well ?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back