Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

40106 oscillator help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael Circuit

Hello all, I am working on building an oscillator using a 40106. So far I have only been able to get one oscillator out of the 40106. I should be able to get several from a single IC.

DC connected to pin 14
Ground to pin 7
A 4.7 uf capacitor is connected to pin 1 from ground,
A wire is connecting pin 1 to pin 2
A 100 K resistor is connecting pin 2 to pin 3
and my output is pin 4

After looking at several examples online, I should be able to connect my capacitor to pin 1,
my resistor between pin 1 and 2
and have my output be pin 2
but this has yet to work, I am trying to create a dual oscillator but need the single oscillator to work first before i can move forward,
any suggestions?

Works in LTSpice. Try a higher value (>50K, < 5meg) for the resistor. You can make the capacitor smaller, as long as it is >~100pF.

Attachments

• DF117.png
    DF117.png
    24.9 KB · Views: 618
Last edited:
i must be missing something

pin 14 dc in
pin 7 ground
pin one capacitor
pin 1 to pin 2 resistor
pin 2 output

i am connecting the possitive wire of a small speaker to pin two and grounding the negative, i should be able to hear audio correct? i can hear it in the set up posted with my question but i can not hear it when trying these connections.

should i be using a potentiometer for my resistor, i know thats a dumb question, but this still isnt working.

Last edited:
i must be missing something

pin 14 dc in
pin 7 ground
pin one capacitor
pin 1 to pin 2 resistor
pin 2 output

i am connecting the possitive wire of a small speaker to pin two and grounding the negative, i should be able to hear audio correct? i can hear it in the set up posted with my question but i can not hear it when trying these connections.

should i be using a potentiometer for my resistor, i know thats a dumb question, but this still isnt working.

A CMOS inverter cannot drive a speaker; as I told several posts ago, you need an audio power amplifer.

Feed the signal at the inverter output into your home stereo, or your powered computer speakers.

If you use a pot, put a fixed resistor of ~20K in series with it.

Last edited:
IT WORKS! i connected the 40103 to a 741 audio amp and it works, thank you for all of your help everyone. im sure i will have many more questions, i am very new at this

Last edited:
A 741 opamp also cannot drive a speaker properly. As you were told twice, you need a power amplifier. An LM386 is a low power amplifier that drives a speaker to less than half a watt.

A 741 is an old opamp that cannot drive a speaker.
An LM386 is a good little power amp that drives a speaker very well if the simple circuit is made like shown in its datasheet.
But many LM386 amp projects on the internet have missing parts that make them perform poorly.

I have a question regarding the 40106, As as Single Oscillator It works fine. But as a dual oscillator I can not seem to get each oscillator to perform independently of one another, the rate of the oscillation adjusts both oscillators simultaneously regardless of which potentiometer I adjust. is there any way to correct this problem?

Last edited:
I have a question regarding the 40106, As as Single Oscillator It works fine. But as a dual oscillator I can not seem to get each oscillator to perform independently of one another, the rate of the oscillation adjusts both oscillators simultaneously regardless of which potentiometer I adjust. is there any way to correct this problem?
hi,
Do you have separate pots and timing caps for each oscillator also have you decoupled on the +V/0v power lines.?

Are the unused input pins of the 40106 floating.?

What is the power supply? If you are using a battery, the effective series resistance of the battery will cause the two oscillators to oscillate in lock-step, especially if you are trying to make them oscillate at frequencies that differ by less than a few percent.

Likely, to make this work, you should use two different hex-inverter chips, bypass capacitors from Vdd to Vss at each chip, and a very well-regulated power supply.

hi,
Do you have separate pots and timing caps for each oscillator also have you decoupled on the +V/0v power lines.?

Are the unused input pins of the 40106 floating.?

Yes I have separate pots and timing caps for each oscillator and the pins are floating. The powers supply is decoupled on the +V/0v power lines. I am using a DC Power Supply instead of a battery.

Last edited:
Yes I have separate pots and timing caps for each oscillator and the pins are floating. The powers supply is decoupled on the +V/0v power lines. I am using a DC Power Supply instead of a battery.

hi,
Its important on CMOS devices to connect the unused INPUTs to +V or 0V , I usually connect to 0V

Do you have a diagram to post.?

I was thinking about buying some 40106s just for the purpose of having the possibility of 6 oscillators out of 1 chip.
Is this not to be?
Any other chip suggestions for this purpose?
Thank you.

I was thinking about buying some 40106s just for the purpose of having the possibility of 6 oscillators out of 1 chip.
Is this not to be?
Any other chip suggestions for this purpose?
Thank you.

Its possible to use all 6 gates in a 40106 as independent oscillators, good decoupling is essential.

Its possible to use all 6 gates in a 40106 as independent oscillators, good decoupling is essential.

It may not be; I think there is sufficient coupling just due to the impedance of the power supply traces inside the IC package and layout that they will oscillate in lock-step. You will have to try it in an actual circuit. Even on a plug-board, the capacitance from pin-to-pin will be too high.

It may not be; I think there is sufficient coupling just due to the impedance of the power supply traces inside the IC package and layout that they will oscillate in lock-step. You will have to try it in an actual circuit. Even on a plug-board, the capacitance from pin-to-pin will be too high.

Hi,
If he uses a plug in project board he could have problems due to the high-ish inter connector capacitance

I have seen 40106's used in mini musical organ projects being used as hex oscillators OK.

As you say he will have to try it out, I keep stressing to him the need for very good power rail decoupling.

Have a Good 2011.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back