Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

4000 CMOS power and input voltage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Screech

4000 CMOS supply and input voltage

I believe they can run from 3 volts to 15 volts supply.
but, what about the input voltages?

I'm using 8 volts as my inputs, but are you supposed to use 5volts for all logic inputs.

thanks [/b]

Your logical low will be the Vss voltage (usually found on pin 7 of a 14-pin chip and the logical high will be the Vdd voltage (usually found on pin 14 of a 14-pin chip). My memory is too poor to remember the threshold voltage that differentiates a high from a low .... the average of Vss and Vdd? Can't remember. But don't allow your lows and highs to run outside the boundries of Vss and Vdd. Yes, there are protection diodes that are supposed to stop any damage, but they have their limits and exceeding those voltage at a minimum will slow down the logic.

Dean

Dean Huster said:
Your logical low will be the Vss voltage (usually found on pin 7 of a 14-pin chip and the logical high will be the Vdd voltage (usually found on pin 14 of a 14-pin chip). My memory is too poor to remember the threshold voltage that differentiates a high from a low .... the average of Vss and Vdd? Can't remember. But don't allow your lows and highs to run outside the boundries of Vss and Vdd. Yes, there are protection diodes that are supposed to stop any damage, but they have their limits and exceeding those voltage at a minimum will slow down the logic.

Dean
The threshold is nominally 50% of supply rails, but spec allows 30% to 70%.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back