Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

40" Samsung LED busted screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricN

Hey guys, a friend of mine is a delivery contractor and he accidentally broke the screen on an LED samsung TV (UN40C6300SF is the model). He was required to purchase the TV and is now looking to get some of his money back. I am going to give him $80 bucks for the TV and attempt to replace the LED screen. The screen is not cracked, it just has that liquid run look like when you push down on a computer screen too hard and the color distorts. Does anyone know if this is something I can replace? If so, what kind of damages am I looking at roughly? I will get the TV tomorrow, take a picture for you guys, and I also plan to pull it apart and find out what parts need replaced. I figure worst case I can sell the TV as a parts TV or set it in the closet until I come across someone selling a parts TV with a working screen and perform a transplant surgery on it. :)

I'm not sure if an LCD of this size could be replaced at home, even if you had the screen handy; it would likely be a two man job, anyhow. Not only that, but the LCD is likely to cost as much (or close to) what the TV would cost new (provided Samsung would sell it to you - they may only sell parts to official service repairmen). I think you might be wasting $80.00...

Last edited:
I would disagree that it's a two person job, I regularly (and easily) replace 40 inch LCD panels on my own.

However, I would agree he's wasted $80 - a replacement LCD panel will almost certainly cost MORE than the entire TV did - you can't buy just the thin LCD section (and would need a clean room to change it if you could), you have to buy the entire panel.

I would disagree that it's a two person job, I regularly (and easily) replace 40 inch LCD panels on my own.

Really?

I've never taken apart a large LCD TV, but now I must ask if they put metal weights or something in them, because to mount and dismount the 42" off my wall, I have to have my wife's help; I wouldn't say because of weight, but more because of awkwardness. I always figured the panel and associated glass inside was the main reason for the weight it did have (which isn't small). I was also figuring that the panel by itself might need to be handled more carefully and with a more even pressure to prevent damage. (though I am sure like smaller LCD panels in computer monitors and laptops, which I do have a small bit of experience in fixing, there are metal frame "bezels" around the edge).

If you say so though, I'll believe you - I always figured that once you got past a certain size, other precautions were needed. Interesting to know...

Really?

I've never taken apart a large LCD TV, but now I must ask if they put metal weights or something in them, because to mount and dismount the 42" off my wall, I have to have my wife's help; I wouldn't say because of weight, but more because of awkwardness. I always figured the panel and associated glass inside was the main reason for the weight it did have (which isn't small). I was also figuring that the panel by itself might need to be handled more carefully and with a more even pressure to prevent damage. (though I am sure like smaller LCD panels in computer monitors and laptops, which I do have a small bit of experience in fixing, there are metal frame "bezels" around the edge).

If you say so though, I'll believe you - I always figured that once you got past a certain size, other precautions were needed. Interesting to know...

I've changed a 32 inch panel today, but it's no different to a 40 inch one (particularly as it was an oldish 32).

I place the set face down on one bench, and the new panel face down on the next bench.

Take the back off the set.

Next swap the panels and brackets from the old panel across to the new one.

Once all parts are swapped over, lift the old panel out of the plastic 'cabinet'.

Then lift the new panel, complete with all the parts in to the 'cabinet'.

Lastly refit the back.

BTW, LCD aren't made of glass, they are made of plastic, it's Plasma that are made of glass and thus far heavier. 42's are mostly Plasma, it's a fairly rare LCD size, although LG at least do make them.

BTW, LCD aren't made of glass, they are made of plastic, it's Plasma that are made of glass and thus far heavier. 42's are mostly Plasma, it's a fairly rare LCD size, although LG at least do make them.

Well, I'll take your word for it that they are plastic, but I have yet to see an LCD not made of glass (at least, up to the size I have "played" with, which the largest was a 15" desktop LCD monitor for a PC). My television is a 42 inch LCD; I don't have the model/brand handy, but it was a replacement I got from Best Buy earlier this year when my GE 42" died (fortunately under warantee). It might be a "rare" size today, but not too many years ago that size seemed fairly common (it was kinda the "sweet spot" size-wise for price; larger sets were more expensive, smaller ones didn't save you much more).

Well, I'll take your word for it that they are plastic, but I have yet to see an LCD not made of glass (at least, up to the size I have "played" with, which the largest was a 15" desktop LCD monitor for a PC).

The front of an LCD is plastic, not glass - try tapping it with your finger :D

The front of an LCD is plastic, not glass - try tapping it with your finger :D

Maybe I just haven't paid too close attention, but probably will from now on! :)

The two desktop monitors in front of me do feel like "plastic" - so does the small screen on my EEEPC; so I guess it is true. The thing is, I remember LCDs made of glass (at least the "old" grey and silver versions, like originally found on watches, and really old LCDs - though I now wonder about my old Tandy 1100HD (I think that's the model) luggable).

Ok - so plastic - am I'm tarded, and I've learned something. Of course, that just makes the problem of why my 42" LCD TV is so damn heavy and awkward a bigger mystery. If there were thin glass being used, it might be understandable, but if it is plastic...?

Are they doing the old trick of making things heavy so they don't seem cheap? I think there was a luxury automobile that they did that with, once - heavy metal "skid" plates on the bottom - although that might have been done for a number of other reasons as well, but it added several hundred pounds to the car...

I learn something new every day...

:)

Ok - so plastic - am I'm tarded, and I've learned something. Of course, that just makes the problem of why my 42" LCD TV is so damn heavy and awkward a bigger mystery. If there were thin glass being used, it might be understandable, but if it is plastic...?

They are made as light as possible, they need steel framing to hold them together - a floppy screen wouldn't be much use! :p

I agree with Nigel. I've serviced both LCD and plasma. Plasma is very heavy due to the plate glass and extra cabinet reinforcement and beefy power supply. LCD is for the most part is always a plastic screen (perhaps some very early day models had glass). Incidentally, the diffraction grading sheet used on many LCD panels can be used to make your own cheap Spectrometer along with a couple of razor blades or similar knife-edged vertical pieces.

Never in my life seen a plastic lcd . when you tap the front, you're touching a sheet of polarized film... Which is plastic. This isn't the LCD screen. Liquid crystal displays work on the principal of electrically aligning liquid quartz sandwiched between two very thin glass sheets. There is always a plastic polarized sheet in front. If you flip the polarized sheet around or rotate it, the colors will invert!!! Fun fact!!

Some LCD panels may have multiple plastic sheets in front of the glass LCD panel. Sometimes the polarized sheet is glued to the glass LCD, sometimes there's another protective plastic sheet for scratch protection or to reduce glare, or increase privacy, etc.... But there's always a glass LCD panel behind the plastic sheet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back