40 Pin PIC's - Wiring question

Status
Not open for further replies.

gramo

Just trying to find some solid evidence if both sets of Vdd and Vss are actually required to be connected on 40 Pin PIC's

I've tried only connecting one side in a couple of different applications without any issues for stability..

Your thoughts/links?

Thanks guys, but it appears to be all 'hear-say', is there any hard evidence on the matter?

I guess if there was, it would have come up in that

Just trying to find some solid evidence if both sets of Vdd and Vss are actually required to be connected on 40 Pin PIC's
Define "required".

What are your criteria? Reliability? I/O driving capability? Error free operation? Electromagnetic emissions? Noise immunity?

One factor does come to mind - but it is derived just from common sense;

Perhaps the dual power pins accommodate the possibility of all ports being driven as outputs.

I'd really like to see some official notes on the matter though

gramo said:
One factor does come to mind - but it is derived just from common sense;

Perhaps the dual power pins accommodate the possibility of all ports being driven as outputs.
I tend to think the opposite (just my opinion). I think they put pins on both sides just to make board design easier. Use whichever pins work best with your design. Gives you the option to find the easiest way in when routing. I'm probably wrong. I know lots of people disagree with me.

Of course I hook em both up anyway, just in case.

I'd really like to see some official notes on the matter though
YES.

Response from Microchip

My question for Microchip;

Their response;

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…