Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

4 multplexed 7seg display

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe G

I'm learning pic's and learned a lot so far, i'm working on a pulse reader to display rpms, i have the timing part figured out, but i'm at a loss as to change the reading to display
the single digits for the multiplexing of each of the 4 digits. i've been reading everything
I can but all the tort's and the like are for counters ;up then down, unless i'm missing something? if someone could point me out how then i could "play around w/ it"

thanks

How about using an LCD display module. You can get a surplus 2-line, 16 characters-per-line LCD display for ~ $5. It takes about 7 PIC pins to write alphanumeric characters to it. For a freq counter, you can have up to 8 or 9 decimal digits.

I'm currently building a PIC-controlled antenna rotator where I will use such an LCD. I plan to display the current antenna heading on one line, and the commanded heading on the other.

Last edited:
I wanted to learn the harder of the two. once i get the going my next "screen" will be lcd . Ive already picked it out, once i can do this one, that one will be
my reward to myself :)

What are you having trouble with? Converting a binary count to decimal? Using one BCD to 7 segment decoder to drive four LED displays? Multiplexing the displays?

when i get the "pulse" period" from the int ruteen, that would be a binary number,correct? i would have to get the "ones" digit and send to multiplexed one, then get
the "tens" digit and send and so forth,.? would'nt i have to do this each time to keep the display up to date, i dont want to use a look up table for i'd have 9999 lines?
i found a math routein weeks ago but i was still learning the timers and cccp.

You could use the digbyte macro. It separates the digits to display on a 7 seg. The one I found online had a mistake but here is a corrected copy. You will have to add the code for the 4th digit and an equate.

Attachments

• digbytemacro.asm
    676 bytes · Views: 120
thanks, i think i found that same code in piclist before, "8bit to extract decimal 1's, 10's, 100's by jsvetlin "
im going over it now?

It's a pain. Just remember the inter digit blanking, otherwise you'll get a streak. I didn't like that assignment back in 1977 or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back