4 digits display to a 12F683

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tarsil, you can use an LCD. I've recently bought 4 LED displays (high efficiency) and I've realized that they're more expensive and they require more pins

Maxim has a chip for everything but usualy on the expensive side. At that price I'd buy a 16F877A with a lot of goodies
Or even the 16F88x when they arrive....
Tarsil, you can use an LCD. I've recently bought 4 LED displays (high efficiency) and I've realized that they're more expensive and they require more pins
And more power!

Personally I think a battery charger should be capable of recharging batteries at minimal cost and with maximum efficiency - and with the minimum of fuss!

I searched a bit and found a lot of uC ~cheap and with OK capab...The problem is TO GET THEM whithout paying 250% for shiping and whithout buying 100+ or so. The only decent uC i can buy is 12F683 at that size and price. I know www.microchip.com taaaaaaaaa.
I've been thinking about a serial LCD (eng1 ) but the cheapest was like 18$ (maybe 15 for 25pcs+) and I'm still searching. I bought a 4 Dg led disp for 2.5$. Eny one can give some details about a cheap LCD?

Madhouse said:
Or even the 16F88x when they arrive....

And more power!

Personally I think a battery charger should be capable of recharging batteries at minimal cost and with maximum efficiency - and with the minimum of fuss!
Well.....I like fuss
And is also DISCHARGING them before :lol

And is also DISCHARGING them before

Quite, and storing the discharge for later use maybe!

See my PM to you - I forgot to mention discharge, but my reason for mentioning the Maxim solution (and the extra I/O it provides) is the facility for buttons selecting "discharge first", "charger reset" and even selecting battery type (NiCad, LiIon, NiMh,LA etc).

Tarsil said:
I've been thinking about a serial LCD (eng1 ) but the cheapest was like 18$ (maybe 15 for 25pcs+) and I'm still searching. I bought a 4 Dg led disp for 2.5$. Eny one can give some details about a cheap LCD?

Serial LCD are expensive. You should search for 44780-based LCDs (for example 2 rows x 16 chars display, they don't cost so much!). Keep on searching

eng1 said:
Serial LCD are expensive. You should search for 44780-based LCDs (for example 2 rows x 16 chars display, they don't cost so much!). Keep on searching

Serial LCD's are generally just a 44780-based one with a PIC connected to it, the PIC receives the serial data and displays it on the LCD. As such they are obviously more expensive than a plain LCD.

eng1 said:
So the interface is the cost? I don't understand why they are so expensive then.

Build one yourself, it's just a PIC and a display, and a small PCB - it's simple to do.

Discharging first is useful for extending the life span of the batery (reduces the memory efect)....yup whould be nice to store the energy thought :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…