Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

4-channel oscilloscope for two separate electrical circuits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

arivel

Hello. I have to ask you for information if you want to help me. i have to buy 5 4 channel bench oscilloscopes which will probably be a rigol DS1054Z and 5 dual bench power supplies. the aim is to use an oscilloscope and a dual power supply for two separate circuits on two breadboards that a couple of guys will work on. I know that the masses of the channels of an oscilloscope are in common and therefore I have a doubt. if the electrical circuits to be analyzed are two and separate, a pair of channels works on one circuit and the other pair of channels works on the other circuit, therefore each pair must be independent. does it work that way?

Normally, all the probe ground/screen connections are commoned together.

They may also be connected to case / chassis / mains or USB ground, depending on the scope type.

If the scope has "differential" mode, you can use two probes (without the ground clips connected to the device being tested) and display the difference between the two, effectively giving a floating reference of anything up to the rated input voltage of the probes & scope.

Can you tie the two breadboard grounds together and bond that to the scope ground?
That would save a lot of hassle and complexities.

Careful about using a DSO to do a math differential mode attempt -

Regards, Dana.

the aim is to use an oscilloscope and a dual power supply for two separate circuits on two breadboards that a couple of guys will work on.

That sounds like a nightmare!

Using a two channel PSU is probably OK.

But two guys, each using two channels of a four channel 'scope?
What if the each need the timebase running at different speeds?
Hands and arms flying around, each fiddling with the controls.

I realise that you may not have the budget for each guy to have his own 'scope, but the set-up sounds like a recipe for frustration, especially as this sounds like a learning environment where each guy will probably not be all that sure what he is doing.

Sorry to sound so negative, but that is my opinion.

JimB

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back