Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

4 by 4 Keypad

Status
Not open for further replies.

brent4669

Hi

I am having trouble designing a 4 by 4 key pad circuit with an 8 bit output. I am using a straight ring counter as the shift register and either a 74LS273 or 74C922 latch for the outputs. I am having trouble connecting my logic gates (andor) to the columns for the key press detect. Any help would be grateful even just a point in the right direction.

Thanks

I put together a 4X4 keypad encoder not to long ago. Here is how I did it...

Attachments

• Keypad.jpeg
    Keypad.jpeg
    93.5 KB · Views: 256
  • 4X4 keypad encoder.pdf
    336.7 KB · Views: 384
  • Keypad 2.JPG
    Keypad 2.JPG
    70.5 KB · Views: 238
  • Keypad 3.JPG
    Keypad 3.JPG
    139.4 KB · Views: 259
  • 1144 keypad encoder.pdf
    477.9 KB · Views: 504
Last edited:
Manners are nice, have you heard of them. In case you didnt read the post properly I didnt mention anything about Pic/Microcontrollers

Mike used a uC, the OP doesnt want to use one and is therefore rudely saying that Mike has no manners because he showed the OP a diagram using a uC

How would you interpret the data without one?

With the solution I gave you could have either serial or parallel output.

Last edited:
Mike used a uC, the OP doesnt want to use one and is therefore rudely saying that Mike has no manners because he showed the OP a diagram using a uC

It's a 4X4 matrix decoder chip. There is no uC involved with that project. You could feed the serial data into a uC or have parallel output.

brent4669 is clearly the one lacking in manners.

Where did you get that nice keypad, Mike?

THANK YOU! I've been looking for one EXACTLY like that!

Used to be, those keypads were about $5.00, until they realized everyone with a micro controller would be buying one, or two.

$12 is a GREAT deal as far as I'm concerned. Digikey's least expensive 4x4 keypad is $13.66 and NONE of them have the right legend - alphanumerics for hex entry, arrow keys for the cursor (I use multline LCDs with menus), clear, entry, and even a damn "Help" button! (I include "help" files on my test fixtures so the techs won't bug me so much)

Mike, this is BEAUTIFUL!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back