Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

4-20mA to 200-800mA Amp/Driver

Status
Not open for further replies.

alanled

Hi, this is my first post as Im a newbie please understand my lack of electronics knowledge!
I have a proportinal valve which requires a 200-800mA control signal the drive card for this valve doesnt exist any more so I have to make something. I want to control this with a 4-20mA output from a PLC. So the proposed circuit would amplify a 4-20mA input and give a 200-800mA output proporionaly. Any help with this would be great! thanks

Well, you didn't say what voltage the valve is, so assuming it's 12/24V, the attached circuit should do the trick.

The voltage across R2 is 150-750mV for 4-20mA current. We then add this to 12V/240 (50mV) to give 200-800mV at the positive input of the operational amplifier. The amp turrns on the transistors at its output and current passes through the valve and R3; due to the feedback to the negative input of the amp, the amp will correct the output current until the voltage across R3 is equal to the 200-800mV. As R3 is 1 ohm, this translates to 200-800mA through the valve.

currentconv.gif

Well, you didn't say what voltage the valve is, so assuming it's 12/24V, the attached circuit should do the trick.

The voltage across R2 is 150-750mV for 4-20mA current. We then add this to 12V/240 (50mV) to give 200-800mV at the positive input of the operational amplifier. The amp turrns on the transistors at its output and current passes through the valve and R3; due to the feedback to the negative input of the amp, the amp will correct the output current until the voltage across R3 is equal to the 200-800mV. As R3 is 1 ohm, this translates to 200-800mA through the valve.

View attachment 37815
I'm curious why you used the 1k/220k level shifter on the front end. Why not just use a 50 ohm resistor for R2? Your circuit leaves ≈50mA through the valve if the input current is interrupted, which might not be good.

I'm curious why you used the 1k/220k level shifter on the front end. Why not just use a 50 ohm resistor for R2?
Sure 50R * 4mA = 200mV, but 50R * 20mA = 1000mV (need 800mV).

Your circuit leaves ≈50mA through the valve if the input current is interrupted, which might not be good.
Probably not good :) If it's a problem, use the second half of the LM358 to disable current in this condition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back