Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

4 - 16 decoder buying help

Status
Not open for further replies.

danny009

hi i am after a 4-16 decoder and i cannot find one cheap well the chip is cheap at about 1 uk pound but if it is coming from the us it postage is about 15 pounds which i do not want to pay so i was wondering if any one had any good websites that i might be able to get a 4-16 decoder from the uk with cheaper postage thanks

danny009 said:
hi i am after a 4-16 decoder and i cannot find one cheap well the chip is cheap at about 1 uk pound but if it is coming from the us it postage is about 15 pounds which i do not want to pay so i was wondering if any one had any good websites that i might be able to get a 4-16 decoder from the uk with cheaper postage thanks

hi,
Which type of decoder are you looking for?

Model/type No:

Eric

any 4-16 decoeder just to use with my picaxe as i am doing a 8x16 dotamrtix and i am using this decoder to drive the 16 colunms which are 0v thanks alot

danny009 said:
any 4-16 decoeder just to use with my picaxe as i am doing a 8x16 dotamrtix and i am using this decoder to drive the 16 colunms which are 0v thanks alot

hi Danny,
Would a 74LS154 get the job done.?
or do want a MOS device, if so, whats the part number?
Eric

The 74LS154 is a honkin' big gunboat of a chip. They were never very popular in the 1970's for that reason. Please tell me why two 74HC138's won't work for your application. The two sixteen pin chips will take less area than the 24 pin gunboat. If you really insist on that solution then I would suggest any number of programmable logic chips in more convenient packages.

anything as long as it will get the job done i was looking at two 16 pin 3-8 decoders or a 4-16 two 16pin ones will be better as i could put booth on the same board under the domatrix board i just want two or one cheap thanks everyone for your messages

the johnson counters would be great ill look a little bit more into it thanks

and yes the 74LS154 will do the job great
and looking at the data sheets the 74HC138 would both be fine

will the speed that the chip can set an output low effect the dot matrix blinking if so the fastest and cheapest chip will do thanks again

Last edited:
danny009 said:
anything as long as it will get the job done i was looking at two 16 pin 3-8 decoders or a 4-16 two 16pin ones will be better as i could put booth on the same board under the domatrix board i just want two or one cheap thanks everyone for your messages

the johnson counters would be great ill look a little bit more into it thanks

and yes the 74LS154 will do the job great
and looking at the data sheets the 74HC138 would both be fine

will the speed that the chip can set an output low effect the dot matrix blinking if so the fastest and cheapest chip will do thanks again

Hi,
As you are in the UK, If you wish, email me your address and I will post a couple of 74HC154 to you, 'free gratis' ...
These are brand new and are the narrow profile 0.3 inch width version. [not papabravo's gunboat 0.6inch version.];)

Eric

thank you yes i am in the uk ill email you my hoem address thanks alot :):D had to send private message thanks

Last edited:
danny009 said:
Have no fear, the PICAXE is somewhat slow as far as PICs go and you won't outrun a typical TTL IC.
**broken link removed**

Last edited:
ok i didnt think a picaxe could out run one thanks alot everyone for your help and posts :D and just think 3 weeks ago i didnt know nothing apart from a few 555 circuits :D

danny009 said:
thank you yes i am in the uk ill email you my hoem address thanks alot :):D had to send private message thanks

hi,
Got it, will post tomorrow, nice to know I'm helping a fellow Yorkshire man!;)
Know that area very well, nice place.

Eric

Seems electronics types love LEDs, it's often the first project when using digital logic.
I'll be making a matrix kit with scads of LEDs 8x24 seems to be about right.

Here's a fellow who's done a 20LED display with a PICAXE
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

Last edited:
yes this is what started it all of lol i was looking up picaxe and i found that but then i saw a 5x7 dot matrix pong game so ive taken it to the next level of 8x16 pong (as ive just finshed breadboarding an 8x8 pong game) and on that im starting to put a tetris game on aswell because i saw it on the same size matrix and my pong game has only used 700bits out of 4096 on the picaxe :) all of the video are on youtube if you type in LED PONG or something like it :p

yh got chips thats alot thanks everyone for all you help thanks again eric these will give me something to play with :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back