Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

3w led light

Status
Not open for further replies.

iroc_03

I am building a light using five 3w leds. The leds are 3.2v / 700ma and will be used on a 12v car power supply and need to know what resistor, etc i need to reduce the voltage to them. They will be wired in parallel. I have used a led calculator to find the proper resistor but am new to electronics and am not sure if the resistor is all I would need. I don't want to burn out my lights. Thanks for any help.

Wiring LEDs in parallel is a bad practice.

If you have three LED/resistor series-combinations in parallel it will work. But, you will be wasting a lot of power (heat) in the resistors by wiring the three combinations in parallel:

One series LED/resistor set (12v-3.2V)/0.7A=~12Ω....(12v-3.2V)*0.7A=~6W...6W*5sets=30W of heat in the resistors.

A better way is one set 3 LEDs and one resistor all in series, and another set of 2 LEDs and one resistor all in series:

One set of 3 LEDs and 1 resistor in series (12v-9.6V)/0.7A=~4Ω....(12v-9.6V)*0.7A=~2W...2W*1set=2W of heat in the resistor.
One set of 2 LEDs and 1 resistor in series (12v-6.4V)/0.7A=~8Ω....(12v-6.4V)*0.7A=~4W...4W*1set=4W of heat in the resistor.
Total of 6W with 2 resistors as opposed to 30W with 5 resistors.

ken

Last edited:
The absolue max allowed current into one of those LEDs when it has a huge perfect heatsink is 700mA. Your car battery is almost dead when it is only 12V and might charge at 14.4V.
Therefore your LEDs will burn out very soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back