Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

3v to 12v step-up converter

Status
Not open for further replies.
1. your location might help
2. how powerful are those solar cells? They need to be at least 4W as the inverter won't be 100% efficient and if you're lucky 80% (those little ones will not be)
3. Panels are never near their rated peak output.

To run a 12V 0.25A fan, you will need 1A at 3V, even if your converter is 100% efficient. Likely, your converter will be no better than ~75%, so that means ~1.3A. I would be very surprised if your bitty panels put out more than 50mA in bright sunlight.

Hello, I am in Southern Michigan. Not 100% sure on the power of the solar cells. I just know they power on a little LED, which I presume is 1.5v. My other option was to maybe get a better solar panel, but clearly they arent that efficient for the size, so I might resort to this 5V .25A 1.25W fan here: Evercool 70mm X 15mm 5 Volt Fan - ( EC7015M05CA) - FrozenCPU.com with that option, I wanted to see if I can run it on those solar cells with a step up, or just get one of these: https://www.futurlec.com/Solar_Panel.shtml (6V 400mA) for $20

Watts = Volts * Current

You need 3W (your fan)
6V*0.4A = 2.4W and that's best case (equator noon clear sky) so you'll need two of them in series.

true, but if I buy the 5v 1.25W fan, and just used one of those panels, I should be fine. All I need it to do, is run during the day, or most of it. Its for a fan aspirated radiation shield.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back