Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

3D Object Scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Surgeon

I'm new at this young fella's , so be gentle with me ..
I trying to figure out a way of creating a 3D scanner to work in conjunction with a CNC
router , I need to scan a sample (laser or Optical) for digitizing then convert the output
into G-codes for the machine to create .
I'm not too sure where to begin or what to read .

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated ..

Regards

http://www.3ddigitalcorp.com/Products/400l.shtml

i do not think you will be able to do it yourself... it is not affordable unless you have the money or can find one to rent.

technically you take a picture of a laser stripe sand calculate the distances... but you have to do that for each step as you traverse the target. to get a single scan you need to process 200MB from a 640*480 imager...

**broken link removed** They have a free version that's pretty decent. The full version isn't too expensive. Very simple to use.

cute... it relies on the laser in the corner to judge the current angle and progressively filling in the model... the page claims it is accurate but gives no numbers...

the one i am currently working on the new electronics for has direct control of the stripe so it does not need the corner reference and can scan any size object you can focus on ( image sensor, laser stripe module, mirror/servo, all drive electronics and USB PC interface all in one... speced at 0.005" resolution.

dan

Last edited:
Thanks for the information , it all helps ..
Am looking at a distance laser and trying to use it to scan objects longitudally then record each step dimension in digital .
Will let you know the outcome :
FYI : the item I am scanning is a 3' x 4" timber carved pole ,I am scanning full length mechanically then rotating the post
in 1/16" increments diametrically. Hopefully I can write code from the output ..

Regards
Fred

Thanks for the information , it all helps ..
Am looking at a distance laser and trying to use it to scan objects longitudally then record each step dimension in digital .
Will let you know the outcome :
FYI : the item I am scanning is a 3' x 4" timber carved pole ,I am scanning full length mechanically then rotating the post
in 1/16" increments diametrically. Hopefully I can write code from the output ..

Regards
Fred

that sounds like a government (personal) job... unless you are independently wealthy and/or have a lot of time on your hands, your best bet would probably be that david thing...mount the camera and the pole and scan it in 3-4 pieces and assemble the results afterward.

the Escan - 3dDigitalCorp.com would do it all once (33.4" scan +/-0.010 resolution at 26" distance) , but it costs $7300. Taking a quick look around it seems that is a bargain.

dan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back