Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

3D CAD Program Recomendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am looking into a 3D CAD program that would export an .stl file. Specifically, this would be to prototype a plastic cap to fit a jar, so somehow need to calculate an internal thread pitch and profile. The idea would be to send along an output file to a reprap, or commercial 3D printer. Any ideas?

Google Sketchup should be able to export STL files.
**broken link removed**
was one link I found, but that was only after a 10 second search, the rest is up to you =)

If I can work out the threads sketchup might work. Downloaded and currently playing with it. There are a couple of other programs like Blender, and another one that I forget, that people talk about.

I have played with sketchup. I can make simple things. Some of the sample files are very complex so I know some one can do complex. There are u-tube videos that help!

Sketchup seems to be doing the job thus far. Here is a rough try at the lid, now on to the jar threads :)

Attachments

• JarLid2.png
    JarLid2.png
    23.6 KB · Views: 302
I only played with it for about two days, as I don't really have a need for a drawing program, but from my experience, and I hate to be a Google nerd, and I'm no pundit, but Google's stuff works..

Threads will be a good learning experience I think, I never got that far because it's one of the procedural functions of Sketch, you'll get as much out of this software as you put into it, and when you hit your limit the commercial version will probably be the next step.

The free version is powerful, and the pay version contains what is required for more commercial applications, and it's not ungodly expensive.

The lids vertical to horizontal top face round-over/fillet was done with the weld plugin. Haven't tried any type of thread plugin yet.

Sketchup doesn't have the solid tools, and could be a limitation, not sure yet. And like you say, Sketchup Pro isn't too expensive if required.

I remember blueroom was using Sketchup to render some pretty cool pcb board layouts, and his robot chassis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back