Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

36VDC 5A power supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

SnM

I need to test some actuators here at work. They are 36VDC. I need a power supply to test them. I will probably be connecting an amp meter to measure current. Any suggestions on where to get a power supply that will work, or advice on building one? I found this: **broken link removed** Do you think that will be good?

Thanks,
Steve

But also need a PSU for charging :( ...and some current limiter or a fuse to avoid fire...

Someone Electro said:
Just conect thre 12V caor baterys togeter.And you get 36V at all the curent you want.

Except you dont. You get ~40V when loaded

I was trying to find something a little bit smaller (and nicer looking) than 3 car batteries + recharging circuits.... but it is a good idea :)

I found some nice digital 0-50 ro 60 VDC bench power supplies, but they only deliver up to 3amps..... I need more.

Thanks.

Styx said:
Someone Electro said:
Just conect thre 12V caor baterys togeter.And you get 36V at all the curent you want.

Except you dont. You get ~40V when loaded

The nominal voltage of a 12V lead acid battery is 13.8V, three in series would be perfect for this application - it's only feeding an actuator!, and the batteries will drop under load anyway.

I'd encourage you to take the time to describe exactly what you need for your work. Many companies have policies that require UL or similar certifications - take that into consideration. 36 volts isn't high voltage but it can hurt you. It doesn't take a lot of current to burn you or start a fire. Your productivity can be a factor and saving a few $$ here might cost many $$ somewhere else. I also understand that in many situations you do not have the means to do all of the above and you just have to get something going - I've been there and done that too!

I think most would agree that most of the time, purchasing what you need is less expensive if you properly account for all of the time/materials. All of that assumes you can actually purchase what you need.

We just want to make sure our actuators are working properly before sending them out. Looking for something that isn't too large, and expensive, but want it to look somewhat nice. Looking at buying a power supply of some sort that will work. 115VAC input. I can find 30V and lower with high amp ratings, but I have a hard time finding 36V with a 10amp rating.

SnM said:
I was trying to find something a little bit smaller (and nicer looking) than 3 car batteries + recharging circuits.... but it is a good idea :)

I found some nice digital 0-50 ro 60 VDC bench power supplies, but they only deliver up to 3amps..... I need more.

Thanks.

This one does 5A.. I have a couple of these.. Nice & quiet for sensitive analog work and enough power to cover most applications. Floating output as well.

https://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/s...toreId=10001&catalogId=10001&productId=175249

Maybe a little more than you want to spend but if you do electronics work frequently, I think they are quite reasonable for what you get.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back