361 leds from 1 PIC18F4550 demo board.

Status
Not open for further replies.

spook

What I'm trying to do is pretty much the same as the monome project.
Except that I want a bigger grid size (19x19) , and that I need to use it for something totally different (not as a musical instrument).
Picture below shows the monome project:

**broken link removed**

I already had a PIC18F4550 development board (manufactured by Olimex) and I have written some software so that I can steer 8 of the outputs of the microcontroller and send them to a connected breadboard where I'm now doing some experiments with the individual parts that I was planning to use.

Because the grid size is so big I do not have enough outputs to steer the 361 leds from the microcontroller at the same time. For this reason I had the idea to use a couple of counter IC's to loop through the columns of the grid. While looping through the grid I will set the value of the leds in a flip-flop IC. Each flip-flop will remember 2 values and will keep the led shining (blue or red) untill the next cycle.

I used a counter-IC (CD4017) to alternate through 10 columns with only 2 outputs (clock and reset). I also ordered flipflop IC's, to store the value of each LED after it is set.

However I started to realize that powering 361 leds at the same time can be too much for a simple USB-connection. Making them shine individually is no problem, but as soon as I put 3 or 4 leds in series already the light is almost invisible.

I hope my problem-description is a bit understandable.

How does one usually solve this problem?
Should I use a relay-kind of circuit? This seems silly because it's only some leds. But maybe because there are so many leds I should use one after all.

The flip-flops have 5V-pins, perhaps I just need to connect this to a second power source? Bah ... I just don't understand why the USB doesn't give enough current to do it entirely by itself. Or is it my microcontroller that eats most of the current?

(Note: You may have noticed that my experience in electronics is limitted this is basicly one of the first projects I'm undergoing.)

Last edited:
Check out a 74hc595..it's a serial in parallel out chip that you can chain several together.

The led's will be steered in parallel. Let's say that each led uses 20mA. I have 361 leds, then I need a total of 7,22 amperes.
Is this correct ?

My power adapter says "3-12V 300mA" so, my guess is that's not enough. So how does one usually steer such high number of leds in a device?
(I don't think the 74hc595 has anything to do with that or perhaps I don't understand.)

20 mA is .02 Amp so your math is a bit off.

Mike it's 7.22 amps the OP wins the button LOL

If he blinks them at 50% duty and want's it to look like there all on he needs to plan on having 4 amps of power

This is at 12 volts

Last edited:
Thank you for some help with these calculations.

So I guess I could integrate a lithium battery in my product:
Power Cell - LiPo Charger/Booster - SparkFun Electronics

Then I can charge (for example) a 7500mAh lithium polymer battery.
That way I can keep everything powered for more than an hour.

However, this brings me to the next issue.
I took the datasheet of the LEDs.

And it says 20mA current, 40mA maximum(!).
80mW power dissipation, 100mW maximum.

So, if I go with this solution, and only 1 led is in use at a certain time, then the thing will blow?
( So... let my beginners' mind give this problem a try ... )
If the leds are not used I need to make sure that a resistor takes over.
The ones I marked in RED will fix this, correct ?

**broken link removed**

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…