Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

34063A DC-DC converter slow to start

Status
Not open for further replies.

R_C

I have been able to revive the 20-year old autopilot on my boat mostly by replacing electrolytic capacitors. I bought failed main boards and control heads (user interface) on eBay and have been getting some to work so I'll have spares. After replacing the caps, one formerly dead control head works fine once it gets started. But starting it may take several minutes. I'm just a hobbyist but I've built a few circuits and isolated the problem on this control head to a 34063A in a SOIC-8 package used as a step-down converter (25 to 5 volts). I'm using this datasheet.

On a good working control head, I get the following voltages on the 34063A's pins from 1 to 8: 25.44, 5.09, 0.73, 0.0 (GND), 1.25, 25.44, 25.44, 25.44. On the problem control head's 34063A, pin2 the switch emitter will slowly rise from about 3.1 volts, pin3 the timing capacitor slowly descends from about 2.5 volts, and pin5 the comparator inverting input slowly increases from about 0.8 volts. After about 2-3 minutes when pin2 gets up to 5 volts the control head works properly and the voltages on all pins closely match the working unit. I've let it run continuously for 48 hours without a problem.

So, how do I fix the problem? Based on the symptoms, could it be the 34063A itself, the inductor connected to pin2, or one of the required caps? The resistance of the inductor matches the one on the good board. I'm not sure how to find the supporting caps shown in the datasheet's schematic for a step-down converter configuration. I'd appreciate any ideas or suggestions. Thanks.

If there is Rsc between pins 7 and 6 measure it to check that it is below 1 ohm.
Timing cap at pin 3 can be open circuit, try to solder 470 pF across it.

Zahwi,

Rsc exists and checks out. The timing cap was the problem! I soldered a 470 pF cap between pin3 and ground and the board fires up instantly. Thank you for your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back