Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

32-bit variable in 16-bit dsPIC microcontroller.

Status
Not open for further replies.

variaseng

Hi, I am using dsPIC30f4011 microcontroller. I have this counter variable that should reach up to 33333 counts. But since the dsPIC is only a 16-bit microcontroller, I am only able to reach until 32768. How can I extend this count such that I can reach up to the maximum value I need? Thank you very much for your help!

You need to create a high word and low word.. when the low word is incremented and over spills check the carry flag and increment the high word (I take it you are using assembler).

@Ian Rogers. Thank you very much! I am using C in mikroC dsPIC environment. If I do the high word/low word in C, how do I detect the carry flag?
@Pommie. Thank you very much! Yes, but I need a signed counter.

If you are using C then you should have access to 32 bit signed variables. Check the manual, it could be int or long.

Edit, a long is a 32 bit variable in MikroC for DsPic.

Just for fun, using 16 bit variables, you could do,
Code:
// to increment
    if(VarLo==32767){
        VarLo=0;
        VarHi++;
    }else{
         Varlo++;
    }
//to decrement
    VarLo--;
    If(VarLo==-1){