Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

3 x 5v fans hooked to a 9 volt?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dog812

I am hooking 3 x 5v fans hooked to a 9 volt, What resistors should i use? should i put 1 in the main line or 3 , one to each fan?
Thanks in adavance.

You can do either. To calculate the resistor you want to find out the current or power rating of the fans. Then use Ohm's law.

Parallel.
I think i have already calculated it correct but i am not sure..

9 volt to a switch
switch branches off to 3 resistors and the three resistors to the fans.
2 x 25 mm 5 volt .06 amp connected to 2 x 68 ohm resistors.
1 x 40 mm 5 volt .19 amp to 1 x 20 or 22 ohm resistor

Correct?

2 of your motors draw .06 amp each.
The resistors need to drop 4 volts.
You solve for the resistors. 68 ohms :)
Use 1/2 resistors.

I'd use a 2 watt for the other fan.

Last edited:
The fans might not start running since they need up to 10 times their running current to start.
With a load of 310mA, a little 9V battery will be 8V in a few minutes and will be 6V in less than 1 hour.

I was running the 1 40 mm fan with no resistor on 9volt and it worked fine. Until someone told me about resistors..

Last edited:
I was running the 1 40 mm fan with no resistor on 9volt and it worked fine. Until someone told me about resistors..
Did you measure 9.0V with the 5V fan running? Or was it 5.5V because the little battery was overloaded?

If the supply was actually 9.0V then it might take half an hour for the little fan motor to burn out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back