Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

3 way fridge power question

Status
Not open for further replies.

stuee

Hi,
I have a 3 way fridge / freezer.
When i camped last year i ran it on gas all the time but due to Australian weather it was over 30c for a few days and the gas struggled.
i can run on my 100ah deep cycle battery which has 1x 80w solar + 1x 60w solar panel to a regulator to it. The problem is the fridge is power hungry at 12v

Specs
240v - 72w
12v - 72w

What my question is.
I have an 800w inverter, would it be better and last longer running the fridge at 240v on the 800w invert than straight 12v to the battery?

Unless you made a typo?, the power requirement is identical at both 240V and 12V - so 12V would be preferred, as you're not making the loses in the inverter.

If its struggling on Gas, it will be worse running on 12V or 240V. The main problem in Australia with 3 way fridges is they need to be T rated (Tropical). If they aren't then the cabinet insulation is not good enough at those temperatures. 12V compressor fridges are far better here in Australia with high temperatures. 2 main contenders for upright 12V fridges here are Waeco & Engel. I run an 80Liter Waeco upright fridge in my van off 100W Solar system, this will keep fridge temps under4Deg C, in amb temps of nearly 50deg C.

hi, thanks for your replies.
Yes the wattage is the same 12v and 240v. i actually have 2 fridges that have about the same power rating.
I know the thermal wrap isnt the best on them as they are cheapos, i think i was reading up on an 4wd forum saying that using gas on a hot day assists in heating up the insulation more so better to use 12v / 240v
For the 12v v's 240v - doesn't an 800w inverter only dray the required current from the battery as required and not draw 800w constant even if no load present?

cheers

Yes it will only draw the current relevant to the wattage consumed plus a bit extra for inverter inefficiencies. It also helps to use a computer fan to assist in removing heat build up at the back of the fridge as well.

So the battery will last longer running both fridges at 240v - 72w through the inverter than direct 12v to the battery at 72w? I was thinking 240v would be better but it's always better to get a second opinion from people better in the know. Also should i mount the fan against the grill blowing into where the heat exchange is.

Generaly its but at the top vents of the van fridge & draw the hot air from there & exhaust to the outside.

So the battery will last longer running both fridges at 240v - 72w through the inverter than direct 12v to the battery at 72w?

No - where has anyone suggested that?.

As I mentioned previously the inverter makes a loss, so uses more power from the battery - 12V would be better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back