Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

3 Pin Case Fan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Should be as simple as applying power. The black wire is ground, the red wire is typically 5 or 12 VDC (check the fan label to be sure) and the yellow wire is a tach output.

Not intending to hijack this thread, but I was wondering what kind of output the tach pin is? Does it output 12V pulses, or is it a switch that grounds out once per revolution?

Not intending to hijack this thread, but I was wondering what kind of output the tach pin is? Does it output 12V pulses, or is it a switch that grounds out once per revolution?

Usually a logic-out (likely open collector) Hall-Effect sensor. Dunno how many pulses per revolution

Usually a logic-out (likely open collector) Hall-Effect sensor. Dunno how many pulses per revolution

Hall Effect Sensor Out, open collector, two pulses per revolution. Generally the tachometer out is the white or yellow wire. Red is + and Black is - for the fan motor.

Ron

I measured the voltage on the tach pin of some of my fans that I have lying around, and the fan was unable to source any current, but it did sink current so the fan may need an external pull up resistor on the tach wire.

But some fans can source current, bellow are a few images of the different types.
**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

Last edited:
Yes, and your images were taken from here. Pretty good write up on fan speed control too.

Most of the fans I have come across have been open collector types. A few years ago I played around with fan speed control to some extent. MOSFETS were my new best friends for a few weeks driving piles of fans. Some of what I did can be found here. Since that was a few years ago the page is left open with a classic "I'll be back". :)

When it came to home computers I actually took the time and patience to instrument my workstation and measure accurately case temperatures. The images from that science experiment can be found here. The images were used with text files explaining everything but the object was to observe case inlet and outlet temperatures as well as PSU inlet and outlet temps with pair of CPUs at idle and 100% loads. I actually looked at case volume, ambient temps, fan blade pitch, fan volumes of moving air as well as fan size. You name it and I looked at it. :)

This was when fan manufacturers were hyping home computer fans. I literally beat it to death. I think it is cool that you are getting into it. Like I mentioned I never had a problem using lower frequencies in the audio range but then too my hearing isn't what it once was. :)

The original experiment was more aimed at seeing just how much heat a large system emits into its environment.

Ron

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back