Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

3 phase system short circuit protection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BGAmodz

Hello everybody .

After working on single phase power converters and inverters , am currently working on a trade/repair company , mainly 3 phase motor drives , servos , and other industrial material .

Back in the days i was using the famous light bulb trick on single phase systems for short circuit protection .

Is there a way to use the light bulb trick or other method as a protection from 3 phase systems shorts on the SWITCHING SIDE .

You can think of putting a small protection relay that can serve for short circuit, over load, phase unbalance etc. Based on the model you select you can have flexibility of changing the set values. Try a google search for the relays with the motor rating you need to run.

Not sure exactly what you are asking but the below is what I have used as a 3 Phase Ground Fault detector circuit for 480 Volt 3 Phase Delta power.

3 Phase Ground Fault.jpg

During normal operation all of the bulbs will glow dimly. If any phase shorts to ground the shorted phase bulbs will extinguish and the remaining bulbs will increase in intensity. Pretty straight forward.

Ron

Not sure exactly what you are asking but the below is what I have used as a 3 Phase Ground Fault detector circuit for 480 Volt 3 Phase Delta power.

View attachment 90739

During normal operation all of the bulbs will glow dimly. If any phase shorts to ground the shorted phase bulbs will extinguish and the remaining bulbs will increase in intensity. Pretty straight forward.

Ron

Nice but actually am trying to avoid shorts between phases , i think as mbarazeen said , i just use a differencial circuit breaker with fast tripping .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back