Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

3 Phase inverter

Status
Not open for further replies.

sp_vibes

Hi,

I am looking to build a 3 phase inverter to control an induction motor. What would be the best way to go about this? I am looking to control the inverter bridge through a microcontroller with a DC source variac to feed the inverter. I know there are a few ways of doing it, but which is the best route to go down?

If you get something like:-
EUROTHERM DRIVES|650-011-230|INVERTER, 1 PHASE, 1.1KW | Farnell UK

That does the whole lot for you.

If you want to control the motor differently, buy one and just use the power electronics from it.

They have a bridge rectifier, and 6 transistors to make the variable 3 phase. Some have a regulator to change the DC voltage.

This is a project and I must build at much as the drive as I can without buying things that do things for me. I am looking to either use PWM techniques or a six step voltage source to run the motor effectively. Any ideas?

Ok guys, I have a DC source variac to supply the inverter circuitry. However, this DC souce must be altered in accordance with the frequency to maintain the air flux gap, therefore I am going to build a DC-DC buck boost converter to control the DC voltage into the inverter. The inverter will then switch this DC voltage to generate a six step square wave across the 3 phase induction motor. Can anyone see any problems with doing this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back