Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

3-conductor stereo jacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

johngorrow

I am trying to make a 1/8" stereo female-to-female coupler (to connect two male plugs).

I have a radioshack part no. 274.249 set of 2 1/8" 3-conductor stereo jacks.

If I wanted to connect both of the stereo jacks together to get stereo sound, which pin would I send to which?

I've done some googling and I *think* I have deteremined that Pin 1 is the "sleeve" (ground?), Pin 2 is the "Tip" (or left channel?), and Pin 3 is the "Ring" (right channel?). The picture on the TRS connector Wikipedia page labeled "B" matches what I have, so I'm going by that.

Ultimately, would each channel get sent to the corresponding channel on the other jack if I just connected each, or would I need a more complex circuit to accomplish this? I'd like the best sound quality that you could get out of these jacks.

Thanks for the help,
John

You just connect like pins to like pins (1 to 1, 2 to 2, etc.) on the two connectors and you will get the proper stereo signal.

Thank you for your reply. Connecting the corresponding pins worked.

Next, I would like to be able to mute the sound with one switch. Because I am working with these three-pin stereo jacks, what kind of switch do I need to get stereo sound to work?

You would need a double-pole single-throw switch. Each pole is connected in series with its respective channel line. You leave the ground pins connected.

However, a DPST switch is a bit harder to find. A DPDT switch will work just as well and is easily available. You'll just not use the connections on one "end".

Dean

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back