Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

3 Channel Logic Analyzer (PICkit2 / Junebug) like a HP LogicDart

Status
Not open for further replies.

blueroomelectronics

As pointed out by FunnyNYPD the new PICkit2 2.50 software now includes a 3 Channel Logic Analyzer. Reminds me of the now very collectible and very cool HP LogicDart.
**broken link removed**
The 3 channel Logic Tool, excellent :)
**broken link removed**
HPs 3 Channel Logic Dart

Hi Bill,

Nice ... I was thinking about using the Unicorn for a low-speed L.A. demo :) but then of course it would be necessary to write the software (for the micro and PC).

Petr

If you download this then you should also download version 8.02 of MPLAB. This is a good thing anyway as they appear to have fixed a lot of the debug problems with the PK2. Now, step over and run to cursor work.

I've not played with the analyzer yet. Hopefully tomorrow.

Mike.

Just playing with the Anaylzer and the Junebug. Not fully tested but I'm hoping it would make a simple IR data capture / viewer.
Code:
;*** Junebug IR Bridge, uses PICkit2 Logic Analyzer mode Ch1
;*** DIP-4 (TX) & 6 (IR) should be on, Trigger Analyzer on Ch1 "/"
    list    p=18F1320        
    include    <p18f1320.inc>
    CONFIG    OSC=INTIO2,WDT=OFF,LVP=OFF
    org    0h
    movlw   72h
    movwf   OSCCON        ; 8MHz clock
    setf      ADCON1        ; set all I/O to digital
    bcf     INTCON2,RBPU    ; enable PORTB input pullups
    movlw    b'11111101'
    movwf    TRISB        ; RB0 in, RB1 out
loop       btfss    PORTB,0
    bsf    LATB,1    
    btfsc    PORTB,0
    bcf    LATB,1
    bra    loop        ; loop forever
    END

Attachments

• ir.png
    ir.png
    4.1 KB · Views: 347
Last edited:
Thanks for the update, that will definitely be useful. Microchip continues to build on the PicKit2, whats next?

**broken link removed**
A 3 channel software PWM.

Actually just an up and down loop for somes leds. The pulse time & period are too long for servos if you can see the bitty 10ms/div at the bottom. The analyzer seems pretty sensitive to pin loading? which in turn seems to effect the trigger. This caused the analyzer to lock up repeatedly.

Well I used channel 3 for the trigger. Also using the older style PicKit2 with the black button, so not sure even if these have the pulldowns. The fact that the load was a regular power hungry led "seems" to have been the issue. Tried external pulldowns for channels 1 & 2, but ended up disconnecting them and the leds for the posted screen shot.

Brilliant timing Bill...

I just spent the last 2 hrs tweaking the IR demo code (via trial and error) to recognize one of my remotes. Then I log in and find the beautiful demo you set up for sampling the IR signal.

Fantastic!

:rolleyes:

I've been playing with my silly remote collection for more of the day than I should. Such fun and thanks to Microchips marvelous little PICkit2 program.

The only one the IR doesn't see properly is my Rogers (Scientific Atlanta) cable box. I think it uses a 56KHz carrier.

blueroomelectronics said:
As pointed out by FunnyNYPD the new PICkit2 2.50 software now includes a 3 Channel Logic Analyzer. Reminds me of the now very collectible and very cool HP LogicDart.
**broken link removed**
The 3 channel Logic Tool, excellent :)
**broken link removed**
HPs 3 Channel Logic Dart

Microchip also confirmed that you can use multiple PICkit2 to get more channels for logic tool.

Wouldn't it make more sense to just extend the PICKIT2 code into a larger PIC, and massage the "Logic Tool" code accordingly?

Good point, that require some work though.
Even the PICkit2 itself still has one more spare pin to hack for the logic tool.

LabRat said:
Wouldn't it make more sense to just extend the PICKIT2 code into a larger PIC, and massage the "Logic Tool" code accordingly?
Perhaps someday they will, but it would mean a new PICkit2 design. Between the simulator, debugger & logic tool you've got quite an arsenal of tools for the budding PIC guru.

Microchips high end ICE have scads of features but $$$, the PICkit2 2.50 Logic Analyzer & Logic Tool are amazing for the price.

Even the PICkit2 itself still has one more spare pin to hack for the logic tool.

It's a 4 channel out, 3 channel in logic tool, there are no more connections. The VPP is output only. Perhaps it would make an interesting adjustable voltage out.

Last edited:
Funny NYPD said:
Microchip also confirmed that you can use multiple PICkit2 to get more channels for logic tool.
I tried using 2 PICkit2's with the LA tool. It would only let me select 1 PICkit. So seeing 6 signals in one display will not work.

If there is anyway to cross trigger 2 PICkits I did not find it. That would take a signal to be passed from one to the other.

If the trigger condition used a single signal one could fake cross triggering. Share the signal between units and that would provide 5 unique signals. Not too shabby "at no additional cost".

I hope I missed something because this would be nice to have. Do you have a link to where this was talked about?

Up to now we have been using the MPLAB simulator when we needed to use a LA. Today we used the PICkit2 as LA's and it went quite well. It is well suited for instruction. You can teach the basics on a inexpensive but workable tool. I love it.

I think you need to run multiple instance of their standalone application. For now, i guess it's only design for a single PICKit2/application.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back