Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

3-8decoder and relay problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yoshidk

Hello everyone

im studying electro engineer almost finished first year, and i ran into a problem i dont know how to solve..

This is taken from a larger print, so the actual use is not to power a LED, but it shows the problem

Components:
3-8 decoder non-inverting (74HC238N)
Relay (OMRON G5V-2)

A High signal will trigger a 3-8 decoder to set Y1 to High

Y1 is connected to a relay

I tested the decoder alone and i works as intended
I tested the relay alone and a high signal will trigger it

But together they do not work :S

When its all connected together and i messure the voltage over the relay, its only ~1,5V

But when i disconnect the relay, and messure the voltage on Y1, its 5V

My guess is maybe a voltage division will occur because the internal resistance in the 3-8decoder is larger then the internal resistance in the relay, but if this is the problem, how do i solve this?

Please help if you have any comments or suggestions :)

Here is the simulation made in multisim
**broken link removed**
(in the picture i use 74HC138N, because my simulation program does not have the 238, but the only difference is the inverting outputs)

-Yoshidk

hi and Welcome,
What is the resistance value of the relay coil.??

EDIT:

Attachments

• AAesp01.gif
    AAesp01.gif
    16.5 KB · Views: 289
Last edited:
it is 50 ohm

hi Yoshidk,
Consider what 'current' the 74HC output pin can supply...... its not going to be 5V/50R = 100mA...

I will not give the answer but you need another device that is a current amplifier between the output and the relay coil,,,, OK.?

Before i read your reply, i tried putting an OP-AMP (MCP601) as a voltage follower in between, alone the output in this is 5V, but again when i attach the relay, it doesnt open and the measured voltage drops down :(

i dont think i have ever heard of a current amplifier..

Before i read your reply, i tried putting an OP-AMP (MCP601) as a voltage follower in between, alone the output in this is 5V, but again when i attach the relay, it doesnt open and the measured voltage drops down :(

i dont think i have ever heard of a current amplifier..

OK.
All you need is a transistor say a 2N2222, connect the base of the transistor to the 74HCT output pin using a series 470R resistor, emitter to 0V and the collector to the relay coil.
The top of the coil to +5V, and IMPORTANT a diode across the relay coil, say a 1N4001.

Look at this clip showing how small the current is from a 74HCT output pin.

Attachments

• AAesp02.gif
    AAesp02.gif
    25 KB · Views: 292
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back