Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

3.4V VF LEDs operated by 3.3V

Status
Not open for further replies.

EngIntoHW

The µC I'm using can source 20mA at 3.3V.

I'd like to use a bi-color green-blue LED (HSMF-C168) which each of its colors has a typical VF of 3.4V and maximal VF of 3.8V.

I'm aware that the LEDs will illuminate more weakly.
I'd like to know whether they will still illuminate.

Thanks.

Every LED from each manufacturer has a different characteristic. I have found that LEDs will illuminate weaker and weaker as the voltage drops below their "characteristic" voltage. Many will still illuminate when the voltage drops by as much as 0.5v.

The tiny LEDs are extremely dim. Ordinary LEDs are 1000 times brighter.
You don't know if your LEDs need 3.2V or 3.8V so it is a gamble to see if they will light with only 3.3V.
The output of the micro-c will be less than 3.3V when it has an output of 10mA.
The max current for the LEDs is only 10mA, not 20mA.

To me that seems to be a high foreward voltage compared to typical LEDs. I have some that have a foreward voltage of 1.8V. LEDs are cheap, and you should be able to find a foreward voltage lower than 3.3V.

Hello,

Some of the other color LED's (like white) have a much higher forward voltage, like as high as 3.5 volts. Those colors dont come much lower.

Consider pulsing the pin with a square wave and using an external voltage doubler to drive the higher forward voltage LED's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back