Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

3.3VDC 5mA to 12VDC 10A : What is the best way 3.3VDC logic output to run 120W 12VDC Component

Status
Not open for further replies.

shootermcgavin

I am working on a small project where I want to use a HC-SR501 PIR Sensor to active a 120W (10A) 12VDC unit.

The PIR sensor has a timer built in which is perfect as I want it to turn on for 20 seconds. When it detects motion is trips high to 3.3V TTL logic output. I want to use this 3.3V to activate the 10A 12VDC unit. I am using an old PC power supply to run the unit.

I was thinking relay or more likely a mosfet, although I have some automotive relays lying around and tried one but it wouldn't close, I believe they need 12VDC and substantial current through the coil.

What is the safest and most cost effective way to do this? The project box is small so I want it to be compact if possible.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance for your time.

Use a relay module similar to this one. It's optically isolated so the relay kickback won't destroy the sensor board, and it only draws a few mA that the sensor board can deliver.

Screenshot_20210404-194211_Edge.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back