Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

3.3v MAX232?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oznog

I am looking at a system where I need to lower Vdd from 5v to 3.3v. However the ST232 (same as a MAX232), but that's rated only for 5v. Even if the logic works the same since it's a capacitive charge pump obviously any change in Vdd will be reflected in its output level which could make its output levels unreadable by another receiver.

I don't want to use 2 regs. Is there a RS232 transceiver that runs on 3.3v? It would preferrably need to be a very low current device like the ST232.

This might not be exactly what you're lookin' for but the open-drain outputs and pull-ups work great on anything (PC or laptop) I've connected to at data rates up to 115-kbaud... I've used VDD=5v and VDD=3.3v on the PIC side and the pull-up on the RS232 side can often be 5v on some laptops all the way up to 13v on some desktops...

Regards, Mike

Attachments

• rs232_parasitic_power__2_206.jpg
    rs232_parasitic_power__2_206.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 1,766
  • rs232_2n7000_schematic_2.gif
    rs232_2n7000_schematic_2.gif
    2.8 KB · Views: 2,515
The MAX3221 works just fine at the lower Vcc. It has one TX and one Rx. We pay $1.37 It probably has a brother with two Tx and Two Rx.

Papabravo said:
The MAX3221 works just fine at the lower Vcc. It has one TX and one Rx. We pay $1.37 It probably has a brother with two Tx and Two Rx.
Where do you get that from? The ST3232 above has 2 TX and RX lines, but I've never actually needed 2, so it seems like a waste.

You can get them at Arrow, Digikey, and Maxim.

Thanks! I should be able to get a part that fits my needs then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back