Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

(3,32 x 10^2)^3 (must I give ^3 to 3,32 as well)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello world !

I need to resolve (3,32 x 10^2)^3 to pursuit an equation..

I wonder if the answer would be:
3,32 x 10^6
or
36,594 368 x 10^6

Briefly; is there a "law of the exponents" that prevents me from giving 3,32 the exponent ?

This homework is on the powers of ten ( scientific notation )

Thanks for your time folks !

The ^3 applies to all in the bracket.

In the bracket is 3.32 x 10^2 or to put it another way 332.

So if the expression was 332^3, you would hopefully have no problem.

So, the answer is 36.59 x 10^3

JimB

PS, why do you use a comma (,) instead of a decimal point (.) ?

Thank you very much. 36,59 x 10^3 and 332^3 is not the same I believe ?

I did 3,32^3 x 10^6 and got 36,39 x 10^6 (36 something million) which is the same as 332^3.

I use commas because I dunno, I think we use both in here.. I think theres some small differences between canada and usa in maths (and some others), like this one ;P

Decimals are after the point or comma, but I dunno they don't seem to care which one we use. I'll ask my teacher tuesday!

ElectroNewby,

The correct answer is 36,594,368.

JimB,

PS, why do you use a comma (,) instead of a decimal point (.) ?

In Europe and some Middle East countries like Turkey, they interchange the comma and period. So the above answer would be written 36.594.368,00 . You can observe that on some European electrical schematics. HP hand calculators have a option that will display a number using either format. Canada prides itself on being cosmopolitian, so they are probably used to both methods.

Ratch

We are used to use a period or a comma, but only use that dot or a comma for the decimals; 36.594.368,00 here would be with spaces: 36 594 368,00 (or .00)
I had never seen numbers expressed like 36.594.368,00 before :) It must be a bit confusing !

Hi,

I believe this might express the concept:

(a*b)^n=(a^n)*(b^n)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back