Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

!2v chrger on 6v volt SLA URGENT PLEASE HELP!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

teeck

I don't know much about electronics. I was wondering if I can use my 12 volt SLA charger to charge my 6v 4 amp battery. The charger is 12v and 500mA. I put it on last night and tested with the meter and the amperage was getting around 300 or so, it was always changing, I think my tester may have been off not sure.....also the charger got hot, I dont recall if thats normal.

Thanks!! :D

Urgent? I urgently suggest you take it off the charger!

No, these are generally incompatible unless you pull some tricks which are far more complicated than getting the right charger for your battery.

Ohh its not on the charger i took it off immediatley yesterday...by urgen i meant I had ordred a charger but don't know if its gonna get here on time, so I need another way of charging the battery.

Is there no simple solution to get the voltage down like using a resistor type thing or something?....again don't know too much bout electronics, sorry if it sounds stupid....

You could try a 1ohm wirewound resistor in series between the 12V charger and the 6V battery..the batterys internal resistance is probably around a half ohm..even though 12/1.5 = 8 A your charger has internal current limiting to .5 A ..
By wirewound i mean a large ceramic resistor usually rated for more than one watt..
this might work , as i am not sure of the type of battery you have..

Another solution would be to go to an auto parts store, see if you can buy a 12V tail light bulb, suggest #1141, or a 1157 . Put it inseries with the 12V charger. When the bulb gets real dim or is off, the 6V battery is charged.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back