Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

2N7000 as PIC input

Status
Not open for further replies.

cn00728

Hello,

I'm having some issues with an input on my PIC ignition project. I had a 2N4401 setup as a NOT gate to provide an input to the PIC 16F630 from a 3v or 5v signal. Problem is, the input signal is a 2ms pulse, which I believe is faster than the 2N4401 could see in a NOT configuration, as I have been unable to find data on it's performance as a NOT.
So, I swapped that with a 2N7000, no change. Now it's unstable and the 2N7000 will oscillate just by you touching the gate.
I have attached a sketch of how my input is, and was wondering what your recommendations are. I was going to put a 10K pull-down on the gate to prevent the oscillation, but sensing a 2ms pulse will still be an issue.

Thank you,
Alex

Attachments

• input1.gif
    input1.gif
    1 KB · Views: 345
The turn on time for a 2n7000 is around 20nS, your 2mS pulse is 100,000 times longer. Try the pull down. If it still doesn't work then post details of the circuit powering the gate.

Mike.

Last edited:
I feel that adopting circuits around nosy surroundings should not be left unterminated as O P has shown 2N7000. Already experts have suggested towards the same. Even an NPN transistor needs termination.

Whoops, I just noticed your input signal is 3-5V. The gate voltage required to turn on a 2n7000 is around 2V and so it will never turn off. What is the circuit producing the 3-5V signal?

Mike.

I should point out that there is a 10k ohm on the gate that was there for current in the previous 2N4401. As it didn't switch with the 2N4401... Too large of a gate resistor changing the capacitance characteristics?

For testing, I have been using another PIC outputting a 2ms pulse train to the gate. If you connect the gate directly to 5v it works, but not with a 2ms pulse. In addition to the PIC, the EFI ecu was used, no dice.

Alex

Here is input buffer with a variable trip point. The plots are for a values of B from 0 to 20KΩ in steps of 2KΩ. With B=0, the threshold of the NFet determines the turn on voltage.

Attachments

• InputStage.jpg
    InputStage.jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 280
Using a 2N4401. Now B = 10KΩ, 20KΩ, 30KΩ,...

Attachments

• InputStage2.jpg
    InputStage2.jpg
    192.8 KB · Views: 301
Last edited:
Thanks Mike. That's thorough, what program is that?

I took another look at the 2N4401 I used before. The circuit was as shown below. The only difference between your diagram is that I didn't have a pull-down on the base, which I should add. Remember though, that this didn't work for me either. I prefer to use the 2N4401 over the mosfet as it isn't as sensitive.

Thinking my gains were messed up, too low collector current which results in a large turn on time, I went through it again this morning and used a 100ohm at R3, and 1K at R4. No change.

Alex

Attachments

• alnpn.gif
    alnpn.gif
    1.2 KB · Views: 226
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back