Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

2N2222 for analog switching?

Status
Not open for further replies.

things

hey guys. Basically, I am trying to come up with a way, I could do some analog "switching". Basically, I have a 0 to 5V signal. I'm trying to make up a circuit, that would take that signal, and switch a transistor to vary power. For example, if I gave the circuit a 2.5V signal, the transistor would be half open. If I gave it 5V, it would be fully on etc etc. The transistor would only have to pass a max voltage of like 4V, at no more than 1.3A.

Any ideas?

If you can add about 0.6V to the signal, you can just use an emitter follower for current gain. I wouldn't use a 2n2222, I would use something with much more current capability.

For an emmitter follower, output = input minus Vbe (diode) drop. So 3.1V in ~= 2.5V out (if you didn't know).

If you want a pure transconductance amplifier, well that's something else.

Last edited:
Sounds like you're looking for a VCA (voltage controlled amplifier). Just google the term for some schematics such as (**broken link removed**)

The Wikipedia entry for "Variable-gain amplifier" suggests using a VCR (voltage-controlled resistor) in the feedback loop of an op-amp amplifier. A VCR can be implemented using a JFET. Of course, the devil's in the details.

if I gave the circuit a 2.5V signal, the transistor would be half open.
If I gave it 5V, it would be fully on etc etc.

Half open?
A linear voltage controlled resistor, like a FET?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back