Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

27mhz crystal oscillator circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi i wish to create a carrier signal of 27mhz using a crystal. Unfortunately, i have no ideas on how to build an oscillator circuit that is suitable for use in 27mhz. At first i tried a Colpitts Oscillator diagram i found in a book but later found out that it is limited to 20Mhz only... :cry:

So does anybody know how to build a simple one for 27mhz??

Physical limitation of Crystals are about 15MHz, to get a higher frequency you must multiply or use harmonic overtones, so a colpits will not work since it is a LC atuned OSC.

A overtone crystal oscillator can be made to gain only on 27MHZ with a 13.5MHz crystal.

It's fairly common to use an oscillator followed by frequency doublers or triplers. Worth noting - when operated in overtone mode some (maybe all) crystals are such that the overtone frequency is not an exact integral multiple of the fundamental frequency - it's close but not exact. Amateur radio publications can provide lots of detailed information.

Juglenaut said:
Physical limitation of Crystals are about 15MHz, to get a higher frequency you must multiply or use harmonic overtones, so a colpits will not work since it is a LC atuned OSC.

A overtone crystal oscillator can be made to gain only on 27MHZ with a 13.5MHz crystal.

huh really? how come i was able to buy a 27mhz crystal?

If you take a common CB transmit crystal at 27MHz and use it in an oscillator circuit you may find it wants to oscillate at 9MHz unless the circuit is tuned to 27MHz. By the correct resonant elements the phase-shift and loop gain will favor oscillations at 27MHz and suppress it at 9MHz

What a previous poster indicated is that crystals oscillating in their fundamental mode is normally limited to about 15-20MHz and higher frequencies can be obtained by oscillating in a overtone. One reason for this is that with higher frequency the quartz slice get's thinner and more fragile and it is very easy to overdrive this thinner slice in terms of mW's, resulting in serious heating and frequency shift of the crystal.

Spectacular Butter said:
Juglenaut said:

huh really? how come i was able to buy a 27mhz crystal?

It's probably an overtone crystal, it will probably have a fundimental resonance either a third or a fifth of it's marked value.

A quick google search found you this which you may find helpful?.

ok thanks for the information. I tried simulating the circuit below, which is a colpitts oscillator taken from a book. But the output i get is 0. May i know what have i done wrong? The program is Electronics Workbench 5.12

Attachments

• colpitts.gif
    colpitts.gif
    6.2 KB · Views: 1,717
The ratio of the two 470pF caps should be larger than 1 to overcome circuit losses and still provide enough loop gain to oscillate. There should be a 0.01uF cap or so between base and +V to provide a low impedance path for feedback.

Here is a working circuit around 25MHz you may try. Transistor can be kept the same (2N3904) as any general purpose NPN will work

Attachments

• osc25.gif
    osc25.gif
    3.5 KB · Views: 1,704
Try here:

**broken link removed**

Lots of info about crystals and oscillators.

JimB

hmm i tried simulating another circuit but still there is no output. Is it the circuit or does the simulator having problems simulating oscillators?

Attachments

• oscill.gif
    oscill.gif
    3.7 KB · Views: 1,193
It oscillates for me after making the top 47pF a 150 pF, but then also I use another simulation program. Frequency about 2.8MHz. Also I lowered the value of the emitter resistor to about 180 Ohm to achieve better I/P and O/P matching of the transistor. Remember some simulators have a problem with oscillator circuits if you don't set it up correctly. I am not familiar with the one you using.

:idea: You can try and make the top 47pF much bigger (1500pF) just to see if it is a loop gain problem and if there's any attempt to start up.

Below is a plot of the output frequency

Attachments

• osc1.gif
    osc1.gif
    12.7 KB · Views: 891
Here is a typical example if there is not enough gain in the system. From the plot you can see there's an attempt to start up but not enough gain to sustain oscillations. In this example I made the top 47pF cap about 100pF

Attachments

• osc2.gif
    osc2.gif
    6.7 KB · Views: 867
Protel 99SE

Try one more thing. Increase the emitter resistance to about 1.5k together with the top 47pF cap at 1500pF, if it still does not work it is most probably the program or the transitor model

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back