Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

24vdc to 12vdc converter, parallel units

Status
Not open for further replies.

CHELLIE

Hi Everyone :) I have a Question, I think it can be done, but i am going to ask the pros here first :) Ok here is what I have, I have a 24volt dc solar system, the 12vdc batteries are wired in series for 24 volts DC, my solar Panels are 24 volts and my solar regulator is 24volts, that part should be OK :) Now what i want to do is run my 12vdc to 115vac 3500 Watt /7000 Watt max. inverter off my 24v batteries, i am looking at a 24vdc to 12vdc 60 amp converter, and was wondering if i can wire 2- 60amp 24vdc to 12vdc converters in Parallel, for 120amps 12vdc to feed my 12vdc to 115vac inverter ? thank you for your time, Chellie

Last edited:
It would be more efficient to get a proper 24Vdc to 120Vac inverter.

Another possibility: Put in an additional 12V battery which feeds the 12V inverter. Use a 24Vdc to 12Vdc converter to charge the 12V battery.

Another possibility: Put in an additional 12V battery which feeds the 12V inverter. Use a 24Vdc to 12Vdc converter to charge the 12V battery.

Thank you Mike for the quick responce :) your right it would be better to get the 24v to 115v inverter, but they are expensive :) I stole my 12vdc to 115vac 3500watt/7000watt max for $160.00 on ebay :) they sell for $1800.00, the 24v/10 amp used solar panels i stole for $100.00 each, i have 3 of them, and my 12v/24v/ 45 AMP solar panel regulator, i stole for $45.00 on e bay :) I am just trying to get a solar system together for Dirt Cheap :) LOL, and was looking at the possibility of Paralleling 2 - 60amp/24vdc to 12vdc converters to give me 12vdc/120 amps to feed the 12v to 115 volt ac inverter, I can get those dirt cheap too :) LOL, I have seen 100amp 24vdc to 12vdc converters, but those run like $2500.00 + each , I like your Airplane avitar, is that a 182 cessna, the pic is a little small, I build and fly E Power RC Aircraft, I have been doing that for over 40 years :) if your into RC, Join us at Wattflyer.com :) Take care, Chellie

Last edited:
great idea :)

I like the idea of using a extra 12v battery to feed the inverter, then i just need one 60amp or less 24v to 12volt converter :) Thank you for the idea, Take care, Chellie

One caution: A solar panel which has an Open Circuit voltage of 24V will not charge a 24V battery. Are you sure that the panels you bought are really intended to be used with 24V batteries? If they are, their Open Circuit output voltage in sun should be ≥ 35V.

Last edited:
One caution: A solar panel which has an Open Circuit voltage of 24V will not charge a 24V battery. Are you sure that the panels you bought are really intended to be used with 24V batteries? If they are, their Open Circuit output voltage in sun should be ≥ 35V.

Yes they deliver over 33 volts with a drop light :) , they are for a 24v solar system :) thank you for your concern :) Take care and have fun, Chellie

PS, one of these days I will get my Private Pilots lic :)

I wont give you a 100% yes but I have seen matching units paralleled before on older construction equipment that had 24 volt systems but had a number of high amp 12 accessories being used.
They seemed to not have any problems but I would suggest using a smaller battery on the 12 side to to work as buffer and help with peak load spikes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back