Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

24V to 12V conversion in a gas detector

Status
Not open for further replies.

colinstone

Hi,
I have a gas detector which is designed to be powered by 12v AC or DC, and I want it to run it on 24v DC. After the power terminals, the is a bridge rectifier chip - DB104 - as here - TAIWAN SEMICONDUCTOR|DB104G|BRIDGE RECTIFIER, 1A, 400V | Farnell United Kingdom
The output then goes to an empty space on the pcb marked IC4. The space has 3 holes in a line. Hole 1 is connected to the DB104 output, hole 2 is grounded, and hole 3 is connected to the rest of the circuitry. There is a jumper across hole 1 and 3. So at the moment 12 v output from DB104 goes straight across to the main electronics.

I am thinking that the 3 holes are spaced to accept a T0-220 voltage regulator and that I could fit a 12v 1A regulator to regulate incoming 24v down to 12v. DB 104 can cope with 24v.

Am I correct???

Thanks.

I don't know because you haven't posted the schematic.

If the detector is designed to be powered from AC or DC then it already has a bridge rectifier so there's no need to add one.

The peak voltage of 12VAC is 17V so you could just as easily use a 15V regulator as a 12V regulator, it depends on the minimum input voltage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back