Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

24v DC from 12v DC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy1845c

Hello all,

I am looking to get around 24volts from my cars electrical system in order to run the LED modual that I asked about in my "Anyone have one of these" topic. I want to run 10 of these moduals, so I will also need a far amout of current also. Would a DC-DC Boost Converter be a good way to achive this? I did a little reading on them, and they look simple enough in concept, but getting the voltage I want out of it might be a differnt story. Is there a simpler method? Is building a DC-DC converter from scratch practical for a beginner to attempt?

There are lots of ICs that can do this, here's just an example:
**broken link removed**

penoy_balut said:
hack a 12v car audio amp, it has a 12v to 24v dc to dc converter in it
Car amps don't have a 12V to 24V converter.
If they are big then they have a 12V to +50VDC and -50VDC or more converter.
If they are little then each 12V amp is two amp circuits in a bridge for nearly 4 times as much power as with a single amp circuit.

Thanks for the replys. I didn't know there was a ready made IC for doing that. I learn somthing everyday:) lol

Looks like i'll have to put together another order for parts, lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back