Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

24V battery charger circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

avz

Hi
I have at my work a walk behind forklift that operates on 24V kead acid battery. it has a charger but the control unit of the charger - it seems to me like a mechanical some sort of timer with some sort of current sense - dosn't work. I've bypassed it and got the battery charged, but it's not a good solution. the charger is made of a 3 phase transformer with 3 diodes to rectifie the current and a resistor to control the charging rate. could you advise me how to build a control circuit - taking into consideration the fact that when I've charged it - the reading on the ampermeter showed 62A. it's fsd - 100A.
Thanks.

lead-acid batteries are usually charged with a constant-voltage supply by for a vehicle battery like yours there may be some more complication in terms of topping up charge etc.

These **broken link removed**

There are a number of risks associated with overcharging a lead acid battery, and the capital cost of the battery is probably quite high. For a company if it's a critical part of the workflow you're probably better getting a commercial unit on the one you have repaired rather than going DIY. I would imagine health and safety might have a similar view...

Sounds like the control unit is basically a timer, the sensor would probably be a voltage sensor to quit when the battery is charged and the timer as a backstop in case you had a dud battery that will never reach full charged terminal voltage. If timer is a mechanical sort that has seized up you can sometimes get these going again by isolating the power and then stripping down the unit - the oil/grease gets gungy and thick with age. There's usually a synchronous motor driving a gear chain, and when the grease gets too waxy the motor stalls. Clean with IPA and see if it gets going again - stalling the clock motor doesn't usually knacker it.

It's probably worth bearing it mind something charging at up to 100A on the low voltage side and running off three-phase AC doesn't leave you much room for error ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back