Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

2445A - value?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to enquire what the current market value is for a Tek 2445A (not calibrated, afaik). In good working order with 2 10x probes, p6137.

I would guess you could get about $150-200 for it if you find the right buyer. But you'd probably have better luck selling it for $100.

$100?

LOL!! What you been drinking? :O

That thing is fairly outdated, you can't expect to get much for it. The $100 is what you might be able to get for it, it says nothing for its actual value. However, its actual value (which I suggested was probably around $200) is a price you most likely will not be able to sell it for.

EDIT: I did find one that sold for $299, so you may be able to get that provided it is in an excellent physical and working electrical condition.

Last edited:
Why, how much did you think you were going to get for it?

Like I said, the $100 is what you can expect to get for it with little trouble. My value estimate was a bit low though, it is probably worth (depending on the condition) between $200 and $300 (if you're lucky).

Nope, $. Though you still have not given a description of its condition. You might be able to get some rich sap to buy it for $500 (£300) but I would think that's very unlikely.

One just sold on ebay on your side of the pond for £128.99.

I see one on ebay for $265, some "unknowns" for as low as $65 and fully calibrated with 1 year free for around $1000.

The market value of it, without calibration and certification, is going to be somewhere between £175-275 I'm afraid, and that is selling to someone actively looking for one. With a recent service, calibration and Nist certificate though, it may well be worth £500 to the right person that has a requirement to satisfy. Assuming of course that there is nothing more than the odd mark on the casing and it comes with the manual intact, cover, probe pouch etc. Personally I would split the probes, they will likely net you £100 on their own if they are in good condition and should sell easily. The scope will probably still fetch around the £150-175 mark without them, but will take a bit longer to sell. Despite costing literally thousands when new, these things depreciate faster than old rusty cars, 5 years down the line and it's probably worth more in tax offset by scrapping it, than it is by selling it. I sold my old Tek 2465 with DMM, not calibrated but in good condition with a probe and manual, about 2 years ago, for a measly £260, despite having paid £1500 for it a few years beforehand with a calibration cert. I practically gave my little Topward beater away 4 months ago after I had paid the ebay fees and shipping, insurance etc. It's a sad fact, but a fact none the less, it's worth more to you if you have a need for it, than it is selling it. Unless I had a very good reason to have an analog 'scope now, I wouldn't even consider the investment :)

• 150 MHz Bandwidth
  • 4 Independent Channels
  • Cursors and Readout
  • 2 mV/div Vertical Sensitivity
  • 1 nS/div Sweep Rate
  • Advanced Trigger System
  • Delayed Sweep Measurements
  • tek-2445a.jpg

The market value of it, without calibration and certification, is going to be somewhere between £175-275 I'm afraid, and that is selling to someone actively looking for one. With a recent service, calibration and Nist certificate though, it may well be worth £500 to the right person that has a requirement to satisfy. Assuming of course that there is nothing more than the odd mark on the casing and it comes with the manual intact, cover, probe pouch etc. Personally I would split the probes, they will likely net you £100 on their own if they are in good condition and should sell easily. The scope will probably still fetch around the £150-175 mark without them, but will take a bit longer to sell. Despite costing literally thousands when new, these things depreciate faster than old rusty cars, 5 years down the line and it's probably worth more in tax offset by scrapping it, than it is by selling it. I sold my old Tek 2465 with DMM, not calibrated but in good condition with a probe and manual, about 2 years ago, for a measly £260, despite having paid £1500 for it a few years beforehand with a calibration cert. I practically gave my little Topward beater away 4 months ago after I had paid the ebay fees and shipping, insurance etc. It's a sad fact, but a fact none the less, it's worth more to you if you have a need for it, than it is selling it. Unless I had a very good reason to have an analog 'scope now, I wouldn't even consider the investment :)
I can think of a good reason - Bandwidth...
I got a Tek 2465A DV on Ebay that works great and not a scratch on it for $400. Show me a Digital scope with 350 Mhz bandwidth and 4 channels that can even come close to $400.
It must be nice to afford to buy a nice Digital scope - I wish I could afford one. But I'm not wasting my money on a paltry 100 Mhz.

I can think of a good reason - Bandwidth...
I got a Tek 2465A DV on Ebay that works great and not a scratch on it for $400. Show me a Digital scope with 350 Mhz bandwidth and 4 channels that can even come close to $400.
It must be nice to afford to buy a nice Digital scope - I wish I could afford one. But I'm not wasting my money on a paltry 100 Mhz.

So you paid roughly the same as I sold mine for. I never said it wasn't a great 'scope, it is and will do pretty much anything you ask of it, it's just not worth much money :)

So you paid roughly the same as I sold mine for. I never said it wasn't a great 'scope, it is and will do pretty much anything you ask of it, it's just not worth much money :)
Yeah, that's true.
I was thinking about saving up and getting a Digital, but the Analog I could get fast. Also, Dave on eevblog said it's a good idea for newbies like me to learn to use an Analog scope first before using a Digital because the Digitals do almost everything for you.
I love it. Even when I save up and get a good Digital, I'm going to keep my Analog. I would rather have both.

I got the 350 MHZ 2465A for its bandwidth (good to over 400Mhz) , thus I got 500Mhz probes for it as well. Also I always wanted one but was too poor to have one. I have a 100Mhz Rigol mixed domain that handles multiple Digital channels as well.
Because the Rigol shows all the signal noise, sometimes the Tek displays overlaid, non repetitive, signals which cannot be triggered upon in a more readable fashion. Repetitive signals can be averaged to suit legibility just fine by the Rigol.
When it comes to communications (RS232 etc) , the Tek is almost useless compared to the storage, zoom & scroll of the Rigol.

This video comparing a Tek analog to modern digital is interesting:

This video comparing a Tek analog to modern digital is interesting:

I just saw that yesterday, it was very interesting. I had a feeling the "noise" on modern scopes was simply because it was able to pick up more signals. He did a good job of explaining it though.

Those are good points, Mosaic. I'll be glad when I can get a good Digital scope for sure. I'll still keep my Tek 2465A DV though.
I bought two 400 Mhz probes for mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back