Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

240VAC to 120VAC???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swiz1611

My wife has a small lamp with a 240v plug on it. Could I just cut the cord and solder a 120v plug on it? if so on the 240 plug which wires are Hot and Neutral?

Yes, you can solder on a 120 volt plug, but the lamp won't work like it used to. As for hot and neutral, what country are you in?

Yes, you can solder on a 120 volt plug, but the lamp won't work like it used to. As for hot and neutral, what country are you in?

I'm in CA right now but my wife brought the lamp from Korea...I was asking which wires to solder together but I can just look that up to see which one connects to which. thanks for the reply!

If the lamp is incandescent, you'll want to replace the 240V bulb with a 120V one. It's not likely to be as easy if it's a different type of lamp.

Your first problem is that European plugs are not normally polarized like the ones in the US. Get an ohm meter and identify which wire connects to the thread. Connect that wire to the silver screw in the plug. Connect the wire that goes through the switch to the center contact of the socket to the brass screw.

Your second problem is the power cord is under sized for US use and poses a fire hazard if you use a bulb more than ½ the rated wattage. Instead of getting a replacement plug, get a replacement cord with the plug already attached and just rewire the lamp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back