Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

240V on 120V transformer, what did I fry?

Status
Not open for further replies.

marf

Hello, I accidentally hooked a transformer to 240V AC. It can take 120/240V but on the board where it is soldered you have to set a switch to choose. I guess this will change how the connection pins are tied. The transformer in question can be found here, its the SPW-353-D:

**broken link removed**

So, can it take 240V in the 120V setting for a few minutes? Or will it melt? After a few minutes a 10A fuse blew in my appartments power central so I guess something nasty happened on the board and to much current started to flow somewhere.

The circuit is a DC motor controller so its full of potentiometers, capacitors and transistors. I guess something is badly damaged, but how do I find out and where is it most likely something went wrong?

The transformer winding damaged. If the 10A fuse blow the trafo is totally dead. Another problem maybe also in circuits, because in few minutes the secondary voltage was double as normal. First check the buffer electrolytic capacitors.

I agree with Sebi, the transformer will almost certainly be destroyed - I'm just surprised it lasted as long as it did!.

Depending on the exact design and specification of the components used, other components may have been destroyed as well - bear in mind you've operated them with a 200% overload!.

Probably your best option is to check for any S/C components with a meter, replace any that appear faulty, then replace the transformer and see what happens. Be VERY! sure to set it correctly, it would be really bad news to blow the new transformer as well :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back