Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

240V motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gregory

With respect to the windings what is the difference between a 204V motor and a 110v Motor design other than the Voltage.
The motor I am refering to is a brushless Kitchen exaust fan used in a kitchen.
I have a 240V Exaust fan motor and want to use it in my welder as the 110V fan is burnt out.
What do I have to do to change the 240V motor to make it into a 110V motor.
I know I can buy one but I have a 240V fan.

just replace it and connect the new fan to the mains. It is possible the fan is driven through a temperature sensing arrangement and turns on and off depending on how much cooling the welder needs. Its pretty hard to get into a modern brushless fan and rearrange windings and being brushless, there will be an electronics drive circuit just to complicate matters for you. My experience suggests brushless fans are dc types and mains voltage fans are conventional squirrel cage types.
So there's a few unknowns there that you need to sort through.

'Brushless' generally refers to DC motors (see above). Perhaps you are referring to an induction motor (a squirrel-cage induction motor does not have brushes or slip rings)?
You could try running the 240V fan on 110V and see if it gives you enough air-flow.
For a given output power a 110V motor will draw more current than a 240V one, so will need heavier gauge wire. That implies fewer winding turns in a given coil volume. Fewer turns = lower inductance. Inductance varies as the square of the number of turns.

I think the fan is 110V AC If I attach a copy of the circuit and a photo you should be able to tell me.
Is it ok to post the Circuit Here

Some ac fans are squirrel cage in which case its not going to work unless it has 4 or mores wires comming out of the stator meaning it can be used on more than one voltage.
If its an electronic bldc motor then you might be able to run it on 110v.
Either way might be worth a test rig to see if it works, watch out for the motor getting hot.

Is there 240v in your welder allready?, its unlikely I spose but it might be worth a look.

In the U.S., a "stick" arc welder implies 240v operation, which for us is "high voltage" for high-power loads such as an electric furnace, range/oven, clothes dryer, air conditioners, etc. where 120v is our "normal" voltage for regular appliances and lighting. Can I assume that the U.K., Australia and other former British colonies use 240v for everything from lights and shavers to central air conditioners?

In the U.S., a "stick" arc welder implies 240v operation, which for us is "high voltage" for high-power loads such as an electric furnace, range/oven, clothes dryer, air conditioners, etc. where 120v is our "normal" voltage for regular appliances and lighting. Can I assume that the U.K., Australia and other former British colonies use 240v for everything from lights and shavers to central air conditioners?

Basically, yes. The sockets in most European houses will take loads up to around 3kW. We have electric kettles!

The UK, along with most of Europe, is now on 230V, but that was a labelling change so that appliances are now rated for UK and Ireland (formerly 240V) as well as mainland Europe (formerly 220V). No-one had to change much but appliances could be sold across the whole of Europe. There are still various different plugs in different countries.

400 V 3-phase (so 230 V on each leg) is used in larger equipment.

In the UK, portable tools used outside for work have to be 110 V, and that is bi-phase, so it is 55 V to ground. The supply for that is mainly provided from 230V by portable transformers.

In the UK, portable tools used outside for work have to be 110 V,
For industrial use yes: for domestic use 230V is still the norm for power tools such as lawn mowers, hedge cutters, drills etc.

Last edited:
Some industrial premises state 110v power tools only, not all, where I work everything is 240, I've seen larger stuff 415v.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back