Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

2300mAH NIMH AAA Battery

Status
Not open for further replies.

VictorPS

What is the max capacity of a AAA battery can be up to date?
I found Sony AAA 2300mAH NiMH at auction website, but I am not sure
if a NIMH AAA can contain a capacity up to 2300mAH!

I check Sony battery web site, it is only 900mAH for a NIMH AAA.
I am worry the 2300mAH is a fake /clone product, can anybody advice me?

Energizer also has 900mA/hrs AAA Ni-MH cells. Their much bigger AA cells are 2500mA/hrs.
Whoever is advertising AAA cells with AA spec's don't know what they are talking about.

Well before I jump in with both feet I'd like to ask one or two questions.

1. Are we talking about a single AAA NiMH cell with a 2300 mAH capacity or is this a multicell battery pack?
2. Is there a part number that can be cross referenced to a datasheet?
3. Is there a charger that is associated with the battery?

These would all be important clues in answering the original question.

I am not sure it is a clone product of Sony, below is the product photo.
I am flying electric Helicopter, so looking for high capacity AAA battery and I found this.

Attachments

• 2300mAH.jpg
    2300mAH.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 233
  • 1350mAH.jpg
    1350mAH.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 221
Those "Sony" AAA NiMH are fake; nice doctoring on the photos though, I couldn't find anything from Sony for such a product, they DO have 2500mah AA NiMH though

**broken link removed**

for AAA 900mah seems about the norm and 1000mah the max.

Something to think about.
AA NiMH are about 2.5x the amp hour rating of a AAA. A company that could make 2300 mah AAA could make 6900 mah AA. No such beast.
(FYI some D cell nicads are C cells in a D wrapper, sneaky)

Last edited:
William At MyBlueRoom said:
(FYI some D cell nicads are C cells in a D wrapper, sneaky)
The C and D size Ni-MH cells from Energizer are a little AA cell in the big wrapper. They all have a 2500mA/hrs rating.

Have you ever seen the skinny AAAA cells inside a 9V battery? An AAAA Ni-MH cell (and 9V battery) is rated for only 150mA/hrs.

how do u all know that they are fake?? i have bought 8 pcs of AA sony batteries, 2300mAh. i think mine one is also fake because of the weight, but i'm not sure. how do u all know that whether the batteries are fake of not?
thanks..

bananasiong said:
how do u all know that they are fake?? i have bought 8 pcs of AA sony batteries, 2300mAh. i think mine one is also fake because of the weight, but i'm not sure. how do u all know that whether the batteries are fake of not?
thanks..

Test them and see, charge them fully, connect a load to them, and time how long they last.

bananasiong said:
thanks..

2300mAh is fine for AA, it's AAA rated for 2300 that's a fake (it looks like AAA in a AA package)

Nigel Goodwin said:
Test them and see, charge them fully, connect a load to them, and time how long they last.
can i know an example of the load? a LED? a bulb? usually it can last for how long?
what does it mean by mAh? mili Ampere per hour? why per hour? i thought it is capacity?

bananasiong said:
can i know an example of the load? a LED? a bulb? usually it can last for how long?
what does it mean by mAh? mili Ampere per hour? why per hour? i thought it is capacity?

It is capacity - 2300maH should be able to provide 1A for 2.3 hours, an 1100maH battery will only provide the same 1A for 1.1 hours.

These figures tend to be fairly 'generous' and are measured at the optimum loading, I would suggest connecting a torch bulb to them (of the correct voltage of course), and measuring the current taken. Then simply time how long it takes for the bulb to go dim - multiply the time (in hours) by the current (in mA) to get the maH value. But don't expect it to be the same as the rated value, for one thing the current of the lamp will change as the battery discharges and it's voltage falls.

A constant current load is best, you can make one with an LM317 and a 1.2 ohm resistor.

The NIMH battery market has been inundated by lots of companies that produce inexpensive but inferior products so you have to be careful of what you order. Some of the best NIMH batteries on the market are the POWEREX series by MAHA.

Their current top of the line AAA is rated for 900mAh.

Their AA batteries are up to 2700mAh.

Their C batteries are rated at 5000mAh but it appears that one manufacturer is up to 6000mAh.

Their D batteries are rated at 11,000mAh. ($24.97 /pair)

I order all of mine through **broken link removed** (Thomas Distributing IIRC). Fantastic company to do business with.

A few other quality NIMH battery manufactures are Energizer, Sanyo, and GP.

Nigel Goodwin said:
It is capacity - 2300maH should be able to provide 1A for 2.3 hours, an 1100maH battery will only provide the same 1A for 1.1 hours.

These figures tend to be fairly 'generous' and are measured at the optimum loading, I would suggest connecting a torch bulb to them (of the correct voltage of course), and measuring the current taken. Then simply time how long it takes for the bulb to go dim - multiply the time (in hours) by the current (in mA) to get the maH value. But don't expect it to be the same as the rated value, for one thing the current of the lamp will change as the battery discharges and it's voltage falls.

oic! that why, the 'mAh' is confusing me. so it is not mili Ampere per hour, it should be mili hour for 1 ampere.

edit: all batteries give up to 1 Amp only?

If you plot the equation x*y = 2300, you will see that there are an infinite numbe of pairs of numbers which when multiplied together are equal to 2300.
This is why the capacity is such a slippery concept, it represents an infinite number of current drains each with a discharge time so that the product is the constant 2300. On the other hand it represents an infinite number of discharge times each with a current drain so that the product is the constant 2300.

bananasiong said:
oic! that why, the 'mAh' is confusing me. so it is not mili Ampere per hour, it should be mili hour for 1 ampere.

edit: all batteries give up to 1 Amp only?

No, I was only using 1A for a nice round value, to keep it simple for you, the rating can be either mAH (as in 2300mAH) or AH (as in 2.3AH) - both of those are exactly the same value. Generally smaller batteries are given in mAH, and larger ones as AH (such as car batteries).

Using the same example of 2300mAH you could get:

1A for 2.3 hours

2.3A for 1 hour

4.6A for 30 minutes

100mA for 23 hours

Any combination you like, within certain limits!.

A NiMh or NiCd battery can supply EXTREMELY high currents, so you need to be VERY careful with them - they easily supply enough current to destroy themselves!.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back