Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

230 v AC on Uc input pin

Status
Not open for further replies.

SimonTHK

Hello
I have to work with some old circuits that use some underground wiring to another circuit bleh blah.... in short terms. I have to accept that 230v is what I am supplied with as an input signal for my circuit, a signal that is switched on when a car drives by some old laser beam things.

Only the signal for an input pin that is. My circuit runs on its own supply.

How can I do this?

Would a trafo 230v to 5 v and acdc converter be the way to go?

Thanks in advance

Find a 230 VAC or 220 VAC to 5 VDC wall wart. Just make sure the wall wart for your given voltage does not exceed 5 VDC. That is what I would consider based on what you have mentioned.

Ron

Like https://www.sparkfun.com/products/12889
Ofcourse that could be quite easy to do it like that ^^
Hereabouts, the second-hand (Thrift) stores have lots of older transformer wall-warts which they practically give away (price is one third of Starbucks Coffee). They will switch off quicker than a lightly loaded SMPS type.

How fast an event are you sampling? You might have to put an artificial load on the wall-wart to more quickly discharge the internal capacitor...

That's only one of many ways to do it, there are plenty of options, many cheaper than that - although for simplicity it's well up there! :D
For me, that is practically for free. I can relieve it from taxes and am gonna buy like 10 for the use over 3 years xD it is as good as free.

Be aware that power relays do not do well switching a very small DC current. That type of relay relies on a bit of an arc to keep the contacts clean... Hard to do switching a couple of mA to a micro port...

Be aware that power relays do not do well switching a very small DC current. That type of relay relies on a bit of an arc to keep the contacts clean... Hard to do switching a couple of mA to a micro port...
Cant I just have like a snubber and pull down resistoor?

No wait, I understood your english now. Hmmm that sucks :D so you say that contacts will lose the surface for leading the eletricity? That kinda could suck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back