Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

220V Mains line noise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

yafch

Hi,
i am having a problem with 220 volts AC lines(as it is in my country). they are noisy.The lines are always little noisy but in days when there is a rain or fast wind the noise becomes annoying. my subwoofer speakers give noise like "sirrrrrrrrrr..phuzzzzzzzz" and its happens frequently with short intervals.at the same time the screen of of my monitor shakes a little too. lighting is ok with little noise but when there are huge bursts of noise they flicker a little too.i hired a technician to check the entire wiring of my home but he found no problem. may be the problem is with high tension wires coming from the power grid and they are effecting hole nearby area. any suggestion for what i can do myself to prevent my appliances specially my pc from possible damage. thanks a lot

Sounds like electromagnetic waves from the high tension lines to me. Why you get short bursts, I do not know. I am interested to see if anyone else has ideas. Whats your country? Is the power gereration stable? Do the lines sway alot in high winds?

I don't think there is much you can do to sheild yourself from the electromagnetic energy from high voltage lines. I would move away from them if possible. Long term exposure may not be healthy for you and who ever else lives so near to them.

Last edited:
You should complain to your electrical utility. Where I live the power company is required to keep the upper voltage level below a set limit. If it goes above this they have to pay for any equipment that is destroyed.
If that isn't the case with your utility, you can buy a UPS with power conditioning built in:
APC - Back-UPS RS - Product Information

hello again,
first of all i think that the distsance of my equipment from the high tension wires is reasonable. the closest one is about 50 meters away in the street from my room where is located my pc. the mians line are placed over the poles are placed in away that there is not much risk of them touching with each other in even high wind storm. there may not be some problem with power generation.i checked it in other areas where the same lines provide power to houses. anyway i think its better to forward a complaint to the concerned authorities at power generation company to fix the problem because,may be there is a problem at 11kva to 220v stepdown mains transformer.so a private technician is not ligible to fix.

thanks a lot for your replies. i,ll come back with progress if there will be any.

The various hardware and insulator components on residential power poles can sometimes cause these intermittent noise problems.

We once had a power company technician talk at a ham club meeting and he told us about a few things that can be a help in locating such intermittent. He said using a AM portable radio tuned to a clear channel can be very effective in walking around and locating a problem pole or connection, and that sometimes the fault can be hundreds of feet away so don't be afraid to walk around the block. He said that when they first look at a suspected problem pole they would hit it's base with a sledge hammer and listen to hear if the noise would increase or decrease. He said they were always willing to try and solve such problem and cautioned us against trying to 'fix' such problems on your own.

I've also had noise problems on my telephone lines in past homes where water got into the phone company's splice box on the poles. My present neighborhood has all underground utilities and I have seen nor heard any problems in 15+ years here.

Lefty

yeah lefty you are right. on my complaint to power company they sent their technician to check it. and they found with a little effort, a loose connection at 11kva-to-220v stepdown mains transformer.they told me that the sparks generated by the loose wire were the cause of noise.although sparks were so small that they could not be seen even at nights but the wire was almost eaten away.and soon there might be a power outage. Now every thing is fixed and back to normal. those guys from power company suggested me to use a good quality voltage stabilizer with my costly appliances to protect from any accidental damage. luckly i already have one, it has a delayed turn on fuction and some sort of power filtering circuitry and can stabilize voltage upto 15%.
too many thanks to all of you for your time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back