Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

220v & 110v

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's long long ago , that Clock in the museum now. and I don't know : what impact on the 50 & 60 difference now?

Most electronic appliances, i.e. TV, radio, computer etc. just convert the mains to a DC voltage so the frequency is unimportant.

Heaters and incandescent lights are purely resistive so it doesn't matter whether it's AC or DC, let alone the frequency.

Most motorised appliances, hand drill, vacuum cleaner, food mixer etc. use universal motors which will are unaffected by frequency.

There are some motorised appliances which use induction motors which are effected by a change in frequency and some transformers designed for operation at 60Hz will run hot at 50Hz so need to be derated and like you say, some appliances use the mains frequency as a timebase.

Most electronic appliances, i.e. TV, radio, computer etc. just convert the mains to a DC voltage so the frequency is unimportant.

Heaters and incandescent lights are purely resistive so it doesn't matter whether it's AC or DC, let alone the frequency.

Those appliances that convert the mains to DC don't mind DC supplies either........

True but the DC invariably needs to be a higher voltage than the mains supply, for example, suppose an appliance is designed to work off a minimum voltage of 200VAC, it won't work if you connect it to 200VDC or even 240VDC, you'll need around 280VDC in order for it to work properly, otherwise the voltage across the smoothing capacitor won't be high enough.

Most motorised appliances, hand drill, vacuum cleaner, food mixer etc. use universal motors which will are unaffected by frequency.

There are some motorised appliances which use induction motors which are effected by a change in frequency and some transformers designed for operation at 60Hz will run hot at 50Hz so need to be derated and like you say, some appliances use the mains frequency as a timebase.

Thanks, it 's very detailed. In addition, Fluorescent light of the strobe will change a bit, but its 60Hz still make uncomfortable in eyes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back