Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

220v & 110v

Status
Not open for further replies.

Electroenthusiast

My question is " Can 110V/60Hz rated appliance run in 220V/50hz without any adaptor?".

--- I asked it because i run a 110V rated appliance in 220V supply, and it run properly, without causing any damage!!!, i know there's Max Power Rating exists, but still is it OK:) ---

Nice Thead: **broken link removed**

What 110V appliance do you need to run at 230V?

How much power does it need?

Does it need to be operated continuously?

If it's just a basic heater, with no temperature control or active circuitry, a diode will work.

You can get transformers to convert 230V to 110V which will work with most US appliances.

If it's something which isn't going to be used continuously i.e. a blender you can safely underrate the transformer.

The answer is NO - it can't, and it will be severely damaged by attempting it.

However, a 110V-240V appliance will run from either, as it's designed to do - and that must be what you have.

I feel Step Down transformer should be used in this case, atleast if its not designed for 110 V & 220 V:
What may happen at the extreme? Would it catch Fire? :E
What 110V appliance do you need to run at 230V?

How much power does it need?

Does it need to be operated continuously?

If it's just a basic heater, with no temperature control or active circuitry, a diode will work.

You can get transformers to convert 230V to 110V which will work with most US appliances.

If it's something which isn't going to be used continuously i.e. a blender you can safely underrate the transformer.

It's a LEG Massager , used to relive the leg pain,
Meant to Use 1hr/30 min daily, but i observed that the system got warmed-up, said to be normal for that instrument.

Last edited:
I have had a microwave oven and a light timer that was 110v. It was used with an adapter / step down transformer on 220v 50Hz and the time was messed up. Eventually most 110v equipments that I had died sooner than expected.

Yes, you're right, the power dissipation will be double with a diode in series.

I have had a microwave oven and a light timer that was 110v. It was used with an adapter / step down transformer on 220v 50Hz and the time was messed up. Eventually most 110v equipments that I had died sooner than expected.

How come?, that means the transformer/ adapter is not giving suitably required 110V.

What's that? I didn understand ypu, can you pls elaborate? :O

My idea was to put a diode in series with it because it will reduce the RMS voltage.

Unfortunately, I forgot that it would only reduce the RMS voltage to 70.7% not 50% which is what I thought.

EDIT:

The diode would only work for resistive loads anyway, say the mains is 240V and you have a heater rated at 170V, it would work but it would destroy a heater designed to run on 120V.

Last edited:
hmmm...
It's over now, a cordless phone from US with adapter rated for 110V input was used at 220V AC.
Then, the adapter had burning smell. then i changed it to 220V rated adapter.The instrument(phone) gets switched ON, but now i cant recieve or make calls from it.(GOTIT SPOILT)
:( , rating is a commonsense, which one of my friend didnt believe in.
...and then same-thing happened to the above mentioned 'LEG Massager'

Last edited:
We told you so, why did you ask the question if you didn't listen?

You're very lucky you LEG masager didn't melt and give you a nasty burn.

WELL, AN ADAPTER IS A MISNOMER, AS USED HERE.......

WHAT YOU HAVE WITH 220V IS......2 110V LEGS AND A GROUND (NEUTRAL)......440 LEGS ARE POSTED

HERE:**broken link removed**

What 220v wire colors are which? - Yahoo! Answers

SEARCH FOR WIRE COLORING PER PHASE - TEACH YOURSELF !

PAUL 425-806-5209
Deppends on your mains.

If your power company uses a triphasic/biphasic 110 V system, then yes, to get 220V you would have 2 phase wires each one providing 110V.

But if your power company uses 220V by default, then you would have 1 phase in 220V and another you would have the neutral.

Last edited:
The early "electronic clocks" was fixed cycle alternating current (50 & 60Hz) driven, 60Hz circuit is simpler than 50Hz circuit.

Attachments

• 2009524623991784.jpg
    2009524623991784.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 209
Last edited:
Of course there are exceptions, it's the same with some digital clocks too and it's not much of a problem if the user is aware that it's running fast or slow, but the vast majority of appliances don't use clocks synchronised to the mains so it isn't an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back