Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

$20 Current Clamp Probe Mastech M3302

Status
Not open for further replies.
None that I can think of.

So long as your DMM has a reasonably accurate mV range display, you should be fine. Good price for that feature addition to the DMM.

Of course, since your going to be playing with some serious currents (and voltages) with the clip-on jaw, suit up and adhere to the appropriate safety routines.

No DC. Check the range and resolution.

Jaw may be too large.

For you, DC might be worthwhile for small engines.

I bought TEK A622 for work that I was really happy with. Just picked up a used AC/DC Fluke something. service manual available free and the Jaws would be the biggest complaint.

Non battery operated AC only sensors may be dependent on meter Z.

So figure out what you want to use it on, frequency (DC?) and resolution.

Car alternator diagnostics requires maybe 100 A. Wiring problems, maybe less.

Peak/hold can sometimes be useful and so can a scope connection.

I measured the load on a dehumidifier the old fashioned way with a Fluke breakout cord. Clamp breakouts are available too.

Hall effect (used for AC/DC) and may not like being dropped.

At work I did have an AC only multiple range thing and the jaws were big and the range higher than I would like.

TRMS can also come in handy.

I was looking for a good deal < $75 for a Fluke and I found one. Cons: large jaw, resolution and not tested out yet.

Pros: right range. AC/DC

Hi,

I agree that the biggest drawback is that it does NOT do DC, just AC. Sometimes you really need DC.

I looked around a lot before i bought mine but i really needed DC so i made sure it had that too. If it did not have that then i would not be able to measure current coming out of a battery for example. I need that as well as other DC and AC measurements.

Also, another feature that the more expensive MASTECH has is a reading "hold" function, that will hold the highest reading. It's not super super accurate for that function but it does work pretty nicely. That allows us to measure inrush current.

The 2108a is a stand alone clamp AC/DC so give that a look. It's more money though 45 dollars USD.

I have one and it works pretty well! The only down side is no DC of course.

Hi,

Yeah i always recommend getting one that does DC too even though it is a little more money. That's because if you get an AC one you may find you want to do DC and then you have to buy yet another clamp meter so you can measure DC. Lots of stuff uses DC so it's worth it i think.

The other thing is the top end current. If it only goes up to 200 amps that may limit it too much too when it comes time to measure you car starter current if you ever want to do that. Of course then it has to do DC also.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back