Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

2 way passive crossover

Status
Not open for further replies.

augustin87r

Hello,

I would like to build a 2 way passive crossover for a pair of 2 loudspeakers system made in USSR (TENTO) a few years ago. I don't have the original speakers, nor the crossover inside so i decided to build one. The speaker cabinet is very nice and i think it was well calculated.

I have two 4 ohm speakers inside:

YDD 200 LPP
DIAM=200mm D. Magnet=100mm Putere M=150W
Frequency=55HZ-5KHZ
Senz=90dB Imped=4ohm;
output 75W

and this one:

Untitled

As you have noticed, i don't have a tweeter but a midrange speaker. I really do not want to use a tweeter because i don't like high pitched sounds. Anyhow, this speaker will reproduce quite well higher sounds....

I'm wondering what filters should i use? 2nd order or 3rd order? I have read that there is not much difference between 2nd order and 3rd order. The big difference is between 1st order and 2nd order.

However, i read about 2nd order here :
Second Order Passive Crossovers, 12 dB per Octave

and about 3rd order here:

Third Order Passive Crossovers, 18 dB per Octave

Building the inductors is very easy, i just have to specify the inductance

Shavano Music Online - Cross-Over Network; Air Core Inductor Calculator

Calculating the right inductance is difficult for me. This calculator makes things very easy, all i have to do is specify the speakers impedance and the frequency.

Passive Crossovers, Capacitor and Coil Calculator

The problem is i don't know what to introduce in the frequency field. I would like to get the best from these speakers. A three way crossover would have been easier. I think the 2 way is difficult because it's a compromise. It uses 2 speakers for the whole range instead of 3 separate speakers like in a 3 way system.

Any suggestion is welcome...

Last edited:
Well, as a starting point, you want the crossover point to be below the top of the woofer's (low-frequency driver) response, 5KHz. Well below, I'd say.

Is that the CL4-03 speaker you're looking at? I wouldn't believe their claimed specs for a minute. 18kHz? Give me a break!

Even if you don't, as you say, "like high pitched sounds" (certainly one of the strangest things I've read lately, but whatever), you might want to think about getting a proper high-frequency driver (aka tweeter), instead of what looks like a cheapo auto speaker. They're not that expensive, and if you're going to go to all this trouble to design and build a crossover, why waste it on crappy speakers?

Last edited:
Thank you for your suggestions.

Indeed, it's strange i don't like high pitched sounds, i like more the midrange..

Just calculate the coil to run in series with the woofer, say 4ohm, 3000hz That's a good starting point. I thought about that or even lower, 2000hz...

For the `tweeter` i might use 7000 hz as value for the `frequency`field.... I think these values will give me a good balance...

What order do you think is better? 2nd or 3rd?

Why not just buy an assembled crossover such as from here? It's a lot easier than trying to build your own.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back